DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Fire-rated garage wall - wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 10:11 AM  
abrowning

Default Fire-rated garage wall - wiring

I'm converting the breezeway of my 1950's era house to living space. I need to make the shared wall of the garage and new living space fire-rated. I understand the insulation and sheet-rocking requirements.

My question pertains to the wiring. There's a lot of wiring along the face of the top plate of the common wall that will have to be re-routed in order to put the sheet-rock up. What is the best approach for this? Can I take it off the wall and surface mount it in some way or simply staple it to the bottom the garage rafters just a few inches away from the sheet-rock?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 03:13 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 112 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You can staple it to the top or bottom of the rafters. Surface mounting would be unsightly and may have to be in a raceway (i.e.-conduit).

Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 AM  
abrowning

Thanks for the reply.

One more question. For the outlets and switches in the common wall, how do I get them into the stud bays when the requirement is that the sheetrock extend from floor to roof? Normally, I would drill down through the top plate or up through open joists and sub-floor to make a hole to pass the cable through and fish to the box. Now I don't have that option because the sheetrock must extend from garage floor to roof. The floor is a slab and the roof is out of the question.

So how do you pass cables through a fire-rated wall? Is there some special fire-rated box that is used or is it some type of fire-proof caulking that goes around the cables? It has to be something that maintains the fire-resistance or there wouldn't be much point to making the wall covering fire-resistant.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:37 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default sure

Fire rated caulking and fire rated expanding spray foam in a can are available. I see it used in new construction all the time.
All you need to pay attention to is the areas where you could get a breach...and it seems to me, you are doing a good job with the questions and already have the answers.

Nice job, and good luck.
We love pictures.

Just My
Made in the

Tags
fire-rated, garage, wiring

Quick Reply