DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > fireproof safes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 PM  
jacobc

Default fireproof safes

Hi,

I'm looking for a fireproof safe for my home. It should be big enough to fit a few laptops, some camera equipment included several cameras and lenses, and other small valuables. If it's also theft-proof, that would be good, although I'm sure what that entails.

Can you recommend brands and models of fireproof safes that are considered high-quality? And where is the best place to buy one in terms of variety available, price/value, return policy, etc.? Lastly, as I alluded to above, what kind of safe would be theft-proof, or what would need to be done to it? We live in a condo, so something like bolting the safe into the floor is not an option.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Jacob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 08:11 AM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 106 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Waterproof is also important. When there is a fire a lot of water will poured on the building.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:31 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If you cannot build it in or bolt it down, it better be very heavy and large to prevent the safe from being stolen also. A good fireproof (2 hr minimum) safe with the required volume and interior dimensions would probably somewhat heavy.

I bought a home that had a base built into basement wall in open view. It had a 12" diameter door that was 4" thick (bootlegger/pharmacist's home). When I bought the house, I put a new $100 bill into the safe and never locked it. Ten years later, when I sold the house the bill was still there, even though we never locked the doors of the house. I still do not lock all the doors in my homes I have lived in for 35 years. - Sometimes I think the alarm signs in the yard and on a home are invitation, even with fake cameras by the doors.

Dick

Quick Reply