DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > First home, killer price and a lifetime to complete it

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM  
krm944

Glenn,

I have one of those rubber couplers. The problem I have is when I tighten the hose clamp down, the tile crumbles. It worked for a while but now I have no-joy! I would like to replace it but it is under a newly poured concrete slab that the Previous Owner poured to get the hot water heater up off the dirt and sometimes damp floor.

In the long term the electric hot water will be pulled and replaced with a more efficient on demand unit in the future "mechanical room" (see post in HVAC about moving furnace)

I think I have found a solution for my Sewage Pump. I am fortunate enough to have a Northern Hydraulics Store here in Virginia Beach and while rummaging the aisles, I found a 2 inch rigid suction hose for a mud sucker or de-watering pump. This will be large enough to handle the volume this pump puts out, its threaded at one end and can be mated to the pump, its 25 ft long and I can run that inside the existing tile. The tile empties on the edge of my property to a tiny stream.....run off from some springs and channels between the flat rock my house was built near.

I will try and get some more pics while I am there this weekend.

Kyle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 07:53 PM  
krm944

Back from another trip to places far, far away, I got the chance to spend a couple weeks in the house. The house is located in NY and my work is located in Virginia Beach. Working in the house is rather relaxing for me.

This trip I focused on three things-
1- My basement was flooded which required a new jet pump and tank, and some work on the sump basin and sump pump. I still have some masonry work to finish when I get the chance.

2. There is a bedroom in the Northwest corner of the house. We used it as the master bedroom when we lived there as the upstairs was under renovations. The wind penetrated the walls with ease. Demo revealed my suspicions, that there was no insulation at all in that room.

3. The old "wood shed"/new kitchen got new floor joists 2x10s 16 inch OC running a span of 8 ft. The overall length of the room is 12 ft and the adjacent 4ft span is offset from the 8ft section. Insulation and subfloor followed and should I decide to go with tile, I have a great base to work with.

Jobs 1 and 3 required framing and insulation. On my way to NY I bought a framing nailer at Harbor Freight. It was on sale for 69 dollars and was a life saver!

Will re-size some pics and show some progress

Kyle

Old 08-15-2009, 08:14 PM  
krm944

Pics of the Basement and sump pump and new water pump. The sump pump is a 3/4 hp sewage pump that can pump about 6000 gallons per hour. It will also pass a 2 inch solid. I had to dig the sump hole deeper, add a 55 gallon drum as a sump basin and route a 2 inch discharge hose.

I raked the dirt out on the floor and will add Quickcrete on my next trip and grade it so any water runs to the sump basin.

basement.jpg   basement-2-.jpg   basement-4-.jpg   basement-5-.jpg  

Old 08-15-2009, 08:19 PM  
krm944

The Front Room (downstairs Master BR) had no insulation. Exterior walls got new 2x6 studs, R 19 insulation and then were covered with OSB board. I know its overkill, but all of my exterior walls get OSB over new insulation. NY winters can be be really windy and this really helps. It also makes it super easy when installing drywall!

fr-demo.jpg   fr-demo-2-.jpg   fr-demo-3-.jpg   fr-demo-4-.jpg   fr-sr.jpg  

Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 PM  
krm944

The old wood shed and new kitchen went much quicker than planned. I spent a few hours laying new 2x10 floor joists 16 OC. I found the old floor was 12' 2x6s 24 OC. It was really spongy. After putting in the joists and subfloor, I framed the gable end of the house. I will keep the attic access and build a custom window/door of sorts. The metalbestos chimney will get buffed and match the stainless appliances when this room becomes a kitchen.

kit-sr-6-.jpg   kit-sr-3-.jpg   kit-sr-7-.jpg   kit-sr-8-.jpg   kit-sr.jpg  

Old 08-15-2009, 08:28 PM  
krm944

Default My $35k House

If youre careful, here is what $35k can get you in NY!!

img_3210.jpg  

Old 08-19-2009, 04:40 PM  
craneop150

looks good ,good luck,and thanks for your service

Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 PM  
tmhremodel

yes you may want to consider replacing the clay pipe... you are already doing alot.... keep us posted this is great stuff I do it every day...=>

Quick Reply