DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > First post, hello! Need insulation/sound help

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 AM  
seanysean

Default First post, hello! Need insulation/sound help

I am finishing my basement and I have a section that will be the TV room with surround/sub etc. Well right above it is our bedroom, so I was wanting to somewhat sound proof that section. The floor joists are 12" tall and the ceiling will be sheet rock for the TV room. Will that be good enough to baffle the sound or should I put up some r13/r19 insulation? I am very green to this sort of thing. Of course I am doing most myself on a budget. I am just about done putting up the insulation on the walls and will be going back to the store to get the last bit needed and whatever I'll need for that part of the room. Any input is appreciated, thanks

Sean

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Check out these previous posts:

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f106/sound-proofing-blown-insulation-8738/

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f109/interior-wall-sound-dampening-insulation-3722/

I don't know for sure but, somehow I'm thinking that a drop ceiling would yield more sound insulation than drywall.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 AM  
seanysean

Thanks, we actually have drop ceiling running through the middle of the basement where the pipes/ductwork is, but not in this sections, just drywall.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:28 PM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To minimize noise transmission, you don't want the drywall in the ceiling directly attached to the floor joists. You can build a second ceiling with 2x6s off set just enough so that no contact exists between the ceiling drywall and the floor joists. Seal all holes between the floors thoroughly with caulking. Adding insulation will help a little for the higher frequency noise. I'd use two layers of 1/2" drywall on the ceiling.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 AM  
Perri

Ok seanysean, to start with, how much money do you have to accomplish this and how extensive do you want to get. Just kidding, but lets see if we can help.

Of course start off with insulation, the bigger the better. But one thing that you have to remember about sound is that it will find a way to the upstairs, so it is best to seal up everything you can. Seal around all wall and ceiling outlets with some kind of caulk. Sound caulk is the best, but a little expensive.

If you have the ceiling height I would also recommend using resilient channel and sound board before the sheetrock. You can find both at a drywall supply store. resilient channel will help with the sound transfer through the floor joist and sound board will help with the low bass sounds coming through.

Then if you wanted to go crazy, use two layers of sheetrock with a product called "green glue" in between them. Or another product which is made for sound transfer is called "Silent Board", I've used it a few times and it is quite amazing.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Perri

Old 03-07-2010, 09:15 PM  
frozenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
Check out these previous posts:

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f106/sound-proofing-blown-insulation-8738/

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f109/interior-wall-sound-dampening-insulation-3722/

I don't know for sure but, somehow I'm thinking that a drop ceiling would yield more sound insulation than drywall.
Those are some really nice links to read! Hope this can solve the problem...

Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 AM  
Ted White
Soundproofer

Likes Given: 1

A drop ceiling will stop significantly LESS sound than drywall. The suspended ceiling is really lacking in mass, and not at all sealed.

Insulation would only be a small contributor to any solution. As Travelover said, you would prefer not to attach any new drywall directly to the joists. Instead, consider a system of resilient clips and channel

Resilient channel is highly problematic. If anyone wants more detail on that, please let me know.

Ted White

http://www.SoundproofingCompany.com

Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm thinking that the best way to have the quietest bedroom upstairs while watching "Godzilla eats Tokyo" downstairs would be for the person downstairs to don a pair of high quality headphones.

That's not what you wanted to hear, but that IS the way to have the sound as loud as you want downstairs without hearing a thing upstairs. Even if you spend a pile of money trying to soundproof that home theatre downstairs, you're still going to have enough noise upstairs to annoy anyone trying to sleep.

In your situation, headphones would deliver the best results for the person upstairs.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 03-23-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 AM  
Ted White
Soundproofer

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
I'm thinking that the best way to have the quietest bedroom upstairs while watching "Godzilla eats Tokyo" downstairs would be for the person downstairs to don a pair of high quality headphones.

That's not what you wanted to hear, but that IS the way to have the sound as loud as you want downstairs without hearing a thing upstairs. Even if you spend a pile of money trying to soundproof that home theatre downstairs, you're still going to have enough noise upstairs to annoy anyone trying to sleep.

In your situation, headphones would deliver the best results for the person upstairs.
Largely true, however if a complete re-build were possible, you would be surprised how loud you could have the theater without disturbing anyone. Such a re-build would be far beyond simply adding more drywall, however.

Ted White

http://www.SoundproofingCompany.com

Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 AM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

We talked about some soundproofing here
Episode #54 – Keeping the noise out

Ted has some great info at his site. We just covered some basics.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Quick Reply