DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   General Home Improvement Discussion (
-   -   Framing out drywall pass through question (

Camilledavis 09-23-2013 08:00 AM

Framing out drywall pass through question
We are moving in to a new house that's very builder grade. There are several pass through doorways off the living room that were simply drywalled and bull nosed. I'd like to frame them out with molding. My question is do we need to remove the drywall back to the door frame or can we apply the wood over the existing drywall.. I'd like to do more of a craftsman style frame out with maybe 1x 4 or something wide.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.. Also if drywall is needed to be removed how far back so you cut it?

nealtw 09-23-2013 06:21 PM

You can do either, if you remove the drywall you will find that there is a metal corner bead that overlaps the corner 1 1/2" on each side of the corner. You can smash off the filler and remove the nails or screws holding it there and remove it and then just remove the drywall on the face of the opening. If you don't remove the corner bead you will have to have wood cut to fit the opening and it makes the opening smaller. But the normal is to use 4 1/2" wide wood to trim this but even with the bead removed, depending on how much filler there si past the bead, 4 1/2 inch may not fit.

CallMeVilla 09-24-2013 07:06 PM

Neal's point is excellent. By removing the corner bead, you can also remove the drywall in the pass thru back to the framing. Then, when you apply Craftsman style jamb casing, (3/4" wood) your finished opening will be almost as wide as the existing opening. The side pilaster casing will cover the wall damage where you removed the bullnose. The top pediment casing will handle the top.

Here is a nice chat-up about your style ...

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 AM.