DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Garage Heater

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 01:19 PM  
mogas

Hey Firehawkmph thanks for the input! Why would you choose a direct vent over like a Modine hot dawg? The reason I ask is I found one at Home Depot for 699 vs the direct vent for over a 1000. I have heard a lot about moisture in the air do you know if it's from a ventless unit or a sealed combustion? I have seen some cheaper non sealed vented units, I would like your input on them. I'll be working on cars/small engines. Will I blow up if I put one in? Or will the fumes not get to the heater because it's high off the ground? I really appreciate it I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck. I'm poor and only 21.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 01:34 PM  
firehawkmph

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mogas,
the ventless heaters are the ones that throw more humidity into the air. The direct vent unit has a sealed combustion chamber that draws in outside air for combustion. So it doesn't take any air out of the inside and most importantly, being sealed, it is safe to use around in a garage with the potential for gasoline leaks and the like. My buddy has a hod dawg unit. It works, but it is noticeably noisier and blows out the warm air from the ceiling level, where the direct vent blows warm air out from the lower part of the furnace. This heats up the floor area quicker. The hot dawg has an open flame. Most residential codes want any open flame to be a certain height off the floor. I don't remember the exact number, but for some reason, 10' comes to mind. Most residential garages don't have ceilings high enough to mount one to meet code. I bought my first direct vent unit in 1985. The oldest one I have at my present house is from 1992, and still works fine with no maintenance. Pretty trouble free.
Mike Hawkins

Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 AM  
mogas

I'm going to buy the Williams direct vent you talked me into it my garage is 22x22x10 is the 62,000 unit going to be to big?

Old 10-22-2013, 02:47 PM  
firehawkmph

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

No, not at all. If your garage walls and ceiling are insulated, it will heat up in 10-20 minutes and then just cycle on and off occasionally depending on how cold it is outside and what you set the temperature at. If you have any questions when you go to install it, feel free to ask.
Mike Hawkins

Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 PM  
mogas

Hey Mike I'm frustrated now. Is the 62,000 just the same as a hanging unit as far as the way it heats and blows air through a heat exchanger? It says that it's a radiant heater online and I was trying to stay away from a radiant because I want my floor, tools, ect warm when I'm working.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 PM  
mogas

Hey Mike I checked the dimensions of the 62,000 and it's going to be tricky to mount it on the wall it's pretty big and I have some permanent things mounted already. I only have one wall I can mount it on and it has a door and window already as well as the other things. I was looking at a sealed hanging furnace, do you know what the least percent efficient it can be to run PVC exhaust out the side?

Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM  
firehawkmph

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Mogie,
the Williams units I have are not radiant, they have a two speed fan motor in them that blows hot air out of the bottom front section of the unit. It is made to either mount between two studs on 16" centers, or mount it on the wall surface, between two studs. They are 7' tall by 14" wide by 9" deep. So you really just need one stud space to mount it. As far as the sealed hanging units, not too up on the actual specs, but most other furnaces that vent out in pvc pipe are in the 90+% efficiency range.
Here's a link for the Williams 62k furnace:
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productID=453058942
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply