DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Garage Plans, Testimonials???

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 09:59 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 789 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

stucco may require thicker sheeting and not much else. go talk to the inspecters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The design and materials list would not have to change if you went with stucco, you would just have to leave off the siding on the materails list and add wire mesh and tar paper to cover the walls.
Of all the siding materials Stucco is the last one I would ever suggest using. Cracking, mold from splash back, painting, are just some of the reasons I personaly hate it.
In CA your going to have to use full round nails in the framing, corner tie downs and cross bracing in the walls. If you go on the Strong Tie web site it will show you some of these.
I agree 100% with the other poster on poring a footing then at least 2 rows of block above grade. If not the sheathing will rot out, the sides of the building will stay dirty, termites will have a direct route to the building.
Siding must be a min. of 6" up off the ground.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:40 PM  
frozenstar

I like the first pic better than the 2nd pic. What design did you finally decide to get?

[I]“You can always get someone to love you, even if you have to [B]do it yourself[/B]”[/I]
[I][SIZE="1"][/URL][/SIZE][/I]

Quick Reply