DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Is this gas ball valve safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 04:13 PM  
nutlog

Default Is this gas ball valve safe?

Hi all,

We have a new dryer due to be delivered tomorrow. We have an old gas pipe/valve (house was built in the 70's), which we've heard Sears won't touch. The valve is also really hard to turn off, as we need to grip the nut on the opposite side with a wrench to turn it and tighten it.

So to make things easier and more modern, I figured I could put a new ball valve (pictured) on top, where the 1/2" gas line normally attaches, then attach the gas line to the new valve.

Not replacing anything... just adding one piece on top of what's already there. It's a 1/2" attachment for the gas line right now... and this is a 1/2" to 1/2" valve, so no size change either. Just an "extension" if you will.

Is this an okay (read: safe) option? Can we just leave the old gas valve on and tight, and not have to mess with it? Instead using the new green ball valve to turn the gas on and off?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply