DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > GC billing practices

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM  
kcspres

Default GC billing practices

I hired a GC in May 2006 to do a large scale remodel on my home. It was supposed to be a 4-5 month project. He did not start until 11/2006 and took until 7/07 to get done. In fact he was not totally done and still had finish work to do when he left. I last talked to him 07/07 and ended up calling my own subs to clean things up. I also ended up calling for my own final inspections when the city got after me as he was nowhere to be found. Then 16 months later he calls me up and says he was moving his office and "found" my file. He then says I still own him the last payment of each phase ($35k) and he needs payment immediately. His last voicemail stated he needed a check within two days or he was sending me to a collection agency. It clearly says in our contract arbitration should be used.

So here is my predicament. My line of credit was closed in MAY 2008 due to home value declines. I do not have the money just laying around.

Is there any rights to me due to his just dissapearing and for not sending me a prompt billing? Heck I never even did a walk through with him and have had to call out several subs to make repairs over the last year.

Thanks!

KCSPRES

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 102 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Default Yup

Get all your records together and a time-line as best you can remember. Get anyone else's stories and any pictures you can find, then call a laywer who does this work for a living.
A contractor who abandons a job usually has no recourse.
Looks like they may be trying to scare you.
If he was a good contractor he would not have just found your file and realized you owed money. How does that happen if you are on top of your projects? Where was the communication?
Good luck.

Just My
Made in the

Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Excuse me Duane:
Your link is a violation of the rules for this Forum. Please remove it.
Glenn

Quick Reply