DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > General overhaul...ongoing(pix!!!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 05:46 PM  
Phatboy

Default General overhaul...ongoing(pix!!!)

Well I am a new member here, and the way I figure it, I should just lay it all out there. My wife and I just bought a new home, well new to us. We hadn't signed the papers for more than 3 hours, and she tore a wall down.(Yes I checked for load bearing, it wasnt) Im sure we will get some flack for jumping in there and just tearing stuff out, but we know what we want in this space, and the way it was...was not it.

So here are the general pics of our new 7 acres, 3 ponds, and 1200sqft ranch. We are currently renovating the kitchen, dinning area, and only bath. A 2nd bath in the master suite will be added later.

If these are the wrong size please let me know. I know some forums have a size limit and things like that. These are 800x600.

Here are two panoramics of the front and back. Click the links, they are sized wierd.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/phatboydime/frontpanoramic.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/phatboydime/backpanoramic.jpg

Here is a birds eye view of what we got.

Front carport and porch that we arent fond of, but can change later.

So sorry this was longwinded, but I hope you guys/gals can help us along with questions we may have, as well as enjoy a renovation through us without the cost, labor, or frustrations that were gonna have. All you have to do is wait and we will do the rest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007, 05:49 PM  
Phatboy

Front view

Side workshop, which is also gonna end up as my 67 mustangs home.

Kim standing inside the workshop. Its much cleaner now. Yes we are young 24/23 to be exact.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:50 PM  
Phatboy

This is the kitchen before the PO moved out. Trust me youll see its different now.

That wall had to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:52 PM  
Phatboy

This was on the other side.

You can sortov see the lack of a wall, and the newfound openness.

Woot open floor plans rock the cat box.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:54 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Default Ye..Ha..

That's the way to pull up a chair.
Looks like you are in for the long haul...with plenty of projects,and honey do lists.
Fire away anytime with some questions...everyone loves to help.

Just My
Made in the

Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 PM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

sounds like and looks like you got your hands full but also looks like you are going to have a lot of fun doing. Fire away at those questions, lots of good advice around here.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 09-25-2007, 12:58 AM  
Phatboy

Well so far so good. We ran into a couple of problems today. First off in one of the pics posted below, you can see that on the double door setup, the left door does not have a header. The other door does. I want to tear all that out and rebuild a new proper header above both doors, and open that entire throughway up. How far should my headers extend past the outermost door frames, or should they stop at the double studs? Here are more pics.

Almost all the credit for this goes to the wife. Shes been bustin her *** while Ive been at work. Enough talk heres the pics!

They pressure washed the workshop. Its acctually cedar siding so thats gonna stay. Looks alot better, no?

Took the upper cabinets off the wall, see the grease. Started taking out the countertop. Might use that in the workshop.

Better shot of the pure nastyness. Bonafied dirty right there(no range vent period!!!)

All cabinets, counter tops, sink, and other **** gone...gettin more open eh.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:59 AM  
Phatboy

As you can see the header that is above the other door does not extend to this door even though this is a load bearing wall...Problem #1 install proper header. That center post area is goin away and that will be a open walkthrough.

Better shot of teh lack of a header.

Anything missin here...oh yeah insulations out. In the back right you can kinda see where they used to have a window unit A/C. You can tell by the badly done A/C support that this kitchen didnt always exist.

Better shot of the super strong A/C unit support structure. Im sure I should sister in some good studs here, or should I just replace these all together?

Last edited by Phatboy; 09-25-2007 at 01:01 AM.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:05 AM  
Phatboy

Hrm lemme think...ITS FRIGGIN BURNING THE WALL...DONT USE IT ANYMORE!

This wall is completely SCREWED, and I dont mean wood screws. Its separated at the bottom about 3 inches, and the insulation was just open to the ground, not only that they used roofing tin as siding, and it was not sealed at all. No house wrap, no plastic, nothing. Problem #2, install house wrap on all walls, floor, and celing. Rebuild wall outside dinning area, and bathroom. Replace tin with proper siding and exterior grade ply, and for Gods sake pull the wall back to the house, and secure it. There was burnt insulation, and animals in here. This house was a dry winter day from goin up in flames.

Better shot of the wall that will get replaced.

And that is all for now. Im off tomorrow and wednesday, much progress to be made. Its gettin rough measured for new cabinets tomorrow, as well as getting all the remnants of insulation out. Getting that window out, and starting on the wall to be removed. What do you think? Doing pretty good for amateures. I know the rebuild is what counts.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:21 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Phatboy and Kim:
We are all excited about the projects you have brought up; can't wait to get started.
1. The door header; I understand you are going to make the two doors into one wide opening. You are correct in saying the header should extend to the cripple stud on each side of the opening. The cripple is two studs nailed together with one of them cut down to where the header will rest; usually 81 to 83 inches, depending on the type of frame to be used and your preference. You will also need some short block, studs on top of the header.
2. Yes, the wood burning stove was a hazard. However, it can be reinstalled safely and save you lots of money, if your wood supply is free.
3. The A/C cut out should be replaced completly with new studs.
Keep firing the pictures at us; we love them, it makes it so much easier to answer any questions.
Glenn

Quick Reply