DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > General Update Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 AM  
hurt11

Default General Update Questions

I live in a 3br 1ba rancher. It is really small no bigger then 900sqft. But Im looking to try and update it to make it look more presentable for when I go to sell it. I would like to paint the walls in the bedrooms, What would be the most thought about color to paint. Same goes for carpet as well. As for the kitchen Im looking to do a little more up to date but nothing really expensive because i dont want to put tons of money into for me to lose out on since I wont be living there 3-7 years later on. And even the flooring, I'd like to do some type of hardwood flooring or something decent Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 326 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Eric, I'd consult with a real estate agent and see what they think about what upgrades you are considering. They are familar with what is moving in your area and what local buyers are interested in.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Drive up in the driveway and think of how your house looks as if you had never seen it before.
Are the shingles old, siding clean, front door in good shape, shutters in good shape, gutters all attached, no trash in the yard, bushes trimmed, flower beds mulched, no holes in the driveway, deck in good shape, no peeling paint.
All low or no cost items that can turn off buyers even before there out of the car. If the outside looks like someone cares live there small things like a room needing paint will be over looked.
Two most important rooms, the bathroom and kitchen.
The other rooms are all fluff and cheap to fix for a new home owner.
Things like a dripping or leaking faucet, rust in the tub, cracked tiles, mold in the bath tub area, peeling paint on the bathroom ceiling.
You can spend thousands of dollars on new flooring but if all the other cheaper stuff I mentioned is in need of repair your not going to sell the house.
There's just to many houses being sold to cheap to over look the simple things.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 AM  
hurt11

Thanks for your guys input.. Didn't even think about consulting with a real estate agent..

And I live on a prvt driveway with 3 others and our driveway takes a beating.. But something can be done to fix that.. Def was looking into changing the siding or cleaning it up a lot.. Roof I am going to replace.. Just didn't take in so many other little things that could make someone over look the small things..

Thanks again for the advice

Quick Reply