DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > grass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 06:19 PM  
hvachawk

Default grass

has Any one seen zoisia grass
is it what they say it is in the ad

[url]http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=wwwtoolinfoforu[/url]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2007, 07:41 AM  
cibula11

Is that the kind of grass that looks almost perfectly green?
I think I've seen that, but I don't know if anyone has it. Isn't it really expensive?

Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Yes, I have some zoysia grass and love it. It stays a beautiful green all summer long and feels like a thick carpet underfoot.
One drawback for northern climates; it turns brown on the first frost and stays that way until sometime in April.
As to the cost; it doesn't take many plugs to fill in an area very quickly, killing out any other grasses on the way. Then, as an area fills in, you can plug it to other areas and soon have a nice thick, tough lawn. The advertising says it doesn't need to be mowed over 3 times a season; my mowers won't allow it to grow like that (mowing it every week) so I can't comment on that claim. I know it sure makes their mower beg for mercy though.
Glenn

Old 03-07-2007, 03:53 PM  
hvachawk

thanks
how will it hold up in the winter with a dog on it all winter and a little wet from the snow

[url]http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=wwwtoolinfoforu[/url]

Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

A fenced in dog will wear out steel along the fence. If the dog traffic is spread out over some space it won't hurt it. Its a little like bermuda grass and even looks like it except the zoysa will vine and knit much tighter than bermuda. Where bermuda vines along the ground the zoysa vines and knits itself to make a thick carpet. My zoysa is about 3" thick and you don't walk on the ground; it holds you an inch or two above the dirt.
Glenn

Old 06-24-2007, 03:24 PM  
gjtoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Yes, I have some zoysia grass and love it. It stays a beautiful green all summer long and feels like a thick carpet underfoot.
One drawback for northern climates; it turns brown on the first frost and stays that way until sometime in April.
As to the cost; it doesn't take many plugs to fill in an area very quickly, killing out any other grasses on the way. Then, as an area fills in, you can plug it to other areas and soon have a nice thick, tough lawn. The advertising says it doesn't need to be mowed over 3 times a season; my mowers won't allow it to grow like that (mowing it every week) so I can't comment on that claim. I know it sure makes their mower beg for mercy though.
Glenn
I realize this is a little late coming but, when you say "... it doesn't take many plugs to fill an area...", can you give some idea what that would be? 2-3 plugs to a square foot or square yard? Less? More? How long does it take to spread? How drought-resistant is it?

Before removing a fence, it may be a good idea to find out why it was put up. :)
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary

Quick Reply