DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Green it all?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2006, 05:51 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Default Green board saga...

Sheetrock....sheetruck. sheatrock....They all sound the same but for the spelling.
Same goes for the stuff we use in our houses.
Regular old gypsumn board is used in the non- moisture prone areas of a home like your living room ,bedrooms ect.
Greenboard is for those moisture ladden areas like your bathroom.This is where the steam from a bathroom or a leaking and sweating toilet create that stuff that starts to grow in those crazy colors.This stuff usually is mold.
The rock board and other types like denshield or any concrete boards made for "wet" shower and bath enclosure areas are the only things you can use that will slow down any problems with tile getting installed poorly or the plastic tub surround that leaks. If this where sheetrock or greenboard they would fail quickly.
Hope that clears up why they still sell greenboard.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 02:28 PM  
iiigoiii

Default greenboard

my sheetrocker recommended against using greenboard in my bathroom. he said that unless you have zero ventilation or real moisture problems, to install regular sheetrock. says it's harder to paint and not worth the extra $$. says it was intended for use as a tile backer (which of course wouldn't be that great since it's not as durable as cement board or hardibacker).

Old 06-02-2006, 03:43 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Friend if you have a bathroom you do have a severe moisture problem! Inspector D is correct and your sheetrocker is just wrong. If you don't want problems down the road you should use the greenboard.
Glenn

Old 06-04-2006, 03:34 PM  
Tileman

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nonsense, if you have an exhaust fan or window, use regular drywall and prime it and paint it or wallpaper it, it's sealed then, greenboard is a waste of money, always use cementboards in wet areas.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:53 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Dear Tileman...

Your still half right...
You are correct when you say that as long as the bathroom has a window or fan and fresh paint you are OK.

The muddied part is when the folks have a window and don't open it because it is raining or winter. What about the folks that have a working fan and they don't turn it on when they shower, or turn it off right when their done. Then there is the really buggered up fan that always half works then threatens to jump out of the ceiling. The fan should run for 15 minutes afterwards to evacuate all moisture.
I have also seen mold grow under the painted surfaces in bathrooms, the paint comes off in large pieces and the greenboard is fine. Do not put vinyl wallpaper in a bathroom, another common mistake.

The greenboard is just there to help the mold not to grow as fast and cost much more in tear out, like he is doing now.
I get the straight answers from the science guy's with the plaques on the wall.
And having seen my share of bathrooms in sorry states of health, I still think it is better to just spend the $50.00 and upgrade.

And as you and I said earlier, always install cement board under tile...no sheetrock no mater what color in wet areas.

This is why I recommend greenboard..you dont know their lifestyles and how they change.I'm sure you alway's do your best on all your job's, right?

Just My
Made in the

Old 06-11-2006, 04:09 PM  
ALPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace

water vapors are heaviest near the floor,

Personally, I would put a vent near the floor, about 12" above it,

Jesse

Sorry, Jesse, but that is not true. Water vapor is less dense than air so it rises above the cooler, drier air. Need proof? Go out side and look up. You'll see clouds (water vapor) in the sky, not on the ground.

I've read that the exhaust fan should be on the ceiling so it draws a draft from under the door, venting the room from floor to ceiling.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:04 PM  
tooltime

All I can say about the greenboard issue is this. The house I am in was built back 1959. The studs are covered in drywall, then in the corners some mesh, and on top of that a nice coat of plaster. The walls total thickness is up to 7/8’s. No mold problems. No venting, just a window that is infrequently open. Condensation would form on the ceiling, but it’s not damaging... just have to clean the ceiling every so often or look at the little brown circles. I know green board is supposed to be a good thing, but I don’t think it equals all the hype.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:58 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Yup

Good ol' plaster mesh walls. Nothing like em when you need to remodel a bathroom. Cut up for days.

The green board is some part hype and some part truth.
The good thing about the green board is it will last longer than regular sheetrock in humid ,moist conditions. My point is that for the cost difference which is not much in a remodel ,it is worth the expense long term.

As for nothing wrong with your good old plaster....the mold you get on your walls and ceilings is mold that is comming from somewhere.Mold does not keep comming around unless something stays wet.
I have remodeled hundreds of bathrooms that were plaster 1' inch walls with tile on them that looked in pristine shape. Solid walls that when hit or probed did not move.
Then the remodel starts and the walls behind the plaster ...are not there! The plaster was holding it all together with no signs of damage to the wall.The mold was terrible and the exterior siding was rotten on the backside.
No studs or 3/4 exterior sheathing....just junk.

Be careful of what you think you have.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply