DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Have to get permit to build treehouse?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2005, 08:33 AM  
Gary

I'd have to move if ordinances were that restrictive. I run a business out of my house. There are some restrictions, but as long as i keep the place neat and don't bother the niegbors with noise I'm within the law. It's a sign shop. I letter the police cars, fire trucks and city vehicles so it's not a secret what I do. However, if ypu drive by our home, you would not know it's a business, with the execption of the occational vehicle in the driveway waiting to be picked up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2005, 04:48 PM  
shadebuilder
shadebuilder

If I were sure there were nothing in the bylaws I would probably go ahead. But be sure. I know of two rules I have had to abide by while contracting for other people, Sheds had to be below fence level or sheds had to be sided and painted to match home. Something silly like this might get you.

I live on two and a half acres and raise horses. I am also a contractor so I have trucks and tools out back. I would have a tough time having to ask permission every time I wanted to do something, but yet I have to every time I contract a job for a customer. Oh well, best of luck

Old 01-04-2006, 07:00 PM  
cranbrook2
Extreme birdhouse builder

Likes Given: 1

this guy spent 15,000 to build this little gem.

bilde.jpg  

Old 01-10-2006, 09:27 AM  
The Gingerbread Man
Running Cookie

In an "upscale" area around here a person repainted their house the same color as before, call it "yellow #1", They used the same color and the HOA caused a stink because it was a different color. The old paint had faded and the HOA swore that they didn't ask permission to repaint it a new color. They went round and round. forgot where it ended up.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:19 PM  
milehigh_woodcrafter

one of my buddies bought a home in a covenant controlled neighborhood. in the literature it said leasing the home is acceptable as long as all of the occupants are caucasian. yeah no ****, this was two years ago. can you believe that?!

Old 04-05-2006, 09:48 PM  
Bridgewater

Man I would just build the fort for my son with out making alot of noise and p*$$ on anyone that got in my way.
I have a young one to, and some older ones also and I wont let anyone get in my way. And if the neighbors had a complant about it,I would just say, OK you wana be like that, im just gona cut the tree down cause I want grow a garden there. And have the last laugh at them! And see if they wana reconsider.

Be safe out there folks.
Bob B.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:38 PM  
PaPaDan

HOAs are a pain in the A$$. Read your Bylaws carefully and if there is no printed restriction agains tree houses, play houses or play structures, then you are good to go. If you ask and they say no, even without being in the bylaws you are stuck with that decision and wont be able to build it. There are clauses saying that They can change the rules anytime they want, but it wont hold if you build before you ask.

Info For All- [url]http://www.hoistman.com[/url] I had amnesia once -- or twice :confused:

Old 04-29-2006, 09:08 AM  
woodworkingmenace

Send a message via MSN to woodworkingmenace

My neighbors kids moved into a "gated community" with this HOA stuff... They are regulated to what thier yard looks like, how many trees are on it, they must paint thier house with in the first year that they move there. At 5pm, EVERYONE must get out and RIDE BICYCLES in the STREET! No Kidding! Its some place in Indiana... (I think Ft Wayne, but not sure).

I asked them if they were in thier right mind, wanting to live there? But, his wife is an "upscale" woman, wanting to live in the "right place" to meet the "right people".. yea, uppity thing if you ask me... Never could get into that snob scale thing... But, thats only my opinion...

My two cents worth....

Jesse

Old 06-06-2006, 02:03 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

You know?
In some counties of Kentucky your status is guaged by how many cars you have on blocks in the front yard. Having one of them rolled over on its top gives you extra points, I could go on and on. Deed restrictions are for the owner's protection. What if one of those good-ol'-boys moved in next to you? And what if he decided he was going to make a pick-up truck out of a hearse? Ya get my drift?
Glenn

Quick Reply