DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Help/advice needed barn wall repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 07:28 AM  
olivier

Default Help/advice needed barn wall repair

Hello, I purchased a house in France with lots to do in it building work has become so expensive that I would like to take part myself.I have a corner wall that looks like it took a bashing sometime in the past I would love to have some opinions of what you think I should do.I would like to have a go at repairing it myself.

It has been suggested that I bulid a wooden frame at right angles and fill with stone and cement to the height of the frame leave for a few days and recomence moving upwards until I reach the top. It was also suggested that I leave a prop in on the corner and where there are cracks to chip back to create a wide enough area to fill with new concrete.I have attached picture. I must add this has been like this for five years or more and not moved! It was like this when we purchased two years ago but have picture from before the sale that go back a few years Any ideas would be very gratefully recieved ? one of many summer DIY jobs.
Many thanks
Olivier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 07:52 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 82 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default Serious

Get a structural engineer, this is way past anything you can post about to fix it.
I love the old country barns too. Good luck and I hope you can fix it.

Just My
Made in the

Old 07-06-2008, 08:47 AM  
olivier

Thanks they seem rare here, all old buildings here have no foundations and this already has supporting metal strut to the corner that is keeping it up.where the wall is cracked no matter how hard we push it it won't move.
Thanks anyway, I'm sure I'll come up with more questions soon
Olivier

Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 PM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

I would just hire a mason to rebuild it. Not really a first DIY masonry job. I wouldn't do it with a concrete pour.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Quick Reply