DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > help basement leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 AM  
makaveli03

Default help basement leak

Hi,

I have cross-posted this on several forums due to the fact that I need a solution quickly. Weather forecast calls for continuous rain over the weekend and I can't spend all day vacuuming the water.

Hi, I have a basement leak where the water appears to be coming from above ground level. It starts from the ceiling of the basement and runs down the side of the wall and pools at the bottom. If that is the case, then the water must be entering somewhere on the roof, running down the entire length of the house, and ending up in the basement. This is isolated to one particular area in my utility room, spanning approximately 6-8 feet in length.
I have tried:
1. laying a tarp in front of problematic area outside of the house (when I didn't notice that the water leaking was above ground level)
2. cleaning the gutter all around the house.
Neither of these solved the issue.

I have attached pictures.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is or recommend any solutions.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 04:49 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 360 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Welcome to House Repair Talk.

Post a picture of the outside wall and the soil next to the house. If you have soil draining toward the wall you need to divert it away and also what about gutter down pipe? Where does it drain to? Is there a door or window above this area?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:03 AM  
makaveli03

Hey Olddog/newtrick,

I will get a picture of the outside ASAP.
The gutter drain pipe extends about 10 feet away from the house, down my backyard. There is a window located above the problem spot.

Although I initially thought it was a foundation issue, the leak is originating well above the ground level. My basement's ceiling is about 2 and a half feet above ground level.

Someone on another forum told me to use a hose and see where the penetration occurs on the outside. I think I will try that to see where the leak is originating.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:23 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Water testing with a hose is probably the best way to find a troublesome leak. Start at the bottom and SLOWLY work your way up the wall. Some leaks take a long time to migrate, you'll need a helper. Spray a small area at a time.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

After looking at the pic again, look at the chimney the flue goes to. The source of the leak may be on the roof. What kind of chimney do you have?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 AM  
Allison1888

Default water leak

Can you get on the roof yourself or look out of some windows to check the shingles? Otherwise I would call a roofer and have them come over and check. I've done this and they typically just charge a service call fee.

Quick Reply