DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Help! How do I repair one of these?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 62 Times on 57 Posts

Lift very slowly, and listen carefully as you lift. The column bottom should let go from the rotten plinth unless there's something tying it down, past the plinth.

If it were mine, I'd be using a single jack-post (with screw-thread top), resting against some diagonal, temporary corner plates top and bottom.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 07:51 AM  
MrMiz

Likes Given: 1

Thanks nealtw. The current plinth is broken almost in Half and I can see that the column is hollow. I can't see if there is a post inside yet because there are a bunch of plastic bags mashed up in the column but it didn't look like there was a post. I'll double check before jacking it up. I'm pretty sure the only thing holding everything in place currently is the caulking between the wood plinth and the stone.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 PM  
MrMiz

Likes Given: 1

BridgeMan thanks for the info. that corner appears to be low about 3/8ths... in my Googling (yes I use it as a verb) I came across a recommendation of only moving a structure 1/8th of an inch a day to prevent "other crazyness" as I've never actually attempted to lift anything is that amount of time necessary? That would take out my weekend project just in waiting alone.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:55 PM  
nealtw

Liked 549 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

A 1/8" per day is for when you're worried about plaster and floors. I wouldn't worry about a porch, other than watching out for something holding it down.

Quick Reply