DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Help with live-in fixer upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 PM  
nealtw

Liked 679 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 1201

When short of help you can run an add on Craigs list for trading labour. There are other people on a budget that need help too.
You have hit on the two most important things, Knob and tube wiring needs to be inspected very closely by some one that know what he is looking at and it may be better to plan on replacing it. to do any remodeling over wiring that likely won't be safe for another ten or fifteen years is just a waiste.
Post a question about it in the electical forum as that is where the pros hang out.

Post a photo or two of the roof, one from a distance and one close up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 268 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I have been in your spot several times in my life and in my case it was by choice. My first house was like yours only older with even more problems and I realized they were there and needed fixed before I bought it. I had high ambitions and believed my skill set was maybe better than it really was at the time but youthful exuberance and feeling I was getting much more for my buck going this way got me into it. To be honest if I didn’t take the DIY route I think I would have spent way more than I could have ever returned on the investment. The trick IMO is to understand what you can and can’t do yourself and then of the things you can’t do what ones could you do within your abilities with some tools, training and education. You are here and asking so that shows me you have some things it takes. To be totally honest I read your first post the other day and didn’t reply having no idea about government loans with low rates.

Your post today gave me thoughts back to that first place of mine and all the scrambling I did for a couple years just keeping it above water. Some of these projects with a huge scale would wear out a team of pros so doing them alone really requires a commitment of putting the house ahead of a lot of other more fun activities. In my case that was easy because I love doing this stuff and the reward is looking at each step and knowing you did that yourself. A house like this should be viewed as many small projects and the advice given of taking them in order is good. Everyone wants to make the inside and outside look good. But as others have said you have to sometimes wait until something below the surface is done.

Having friends and family pitch in is great I have normally been the one doing the helping and find it a bit easier to then ask for some help. Every family is different as are friends but I have found they don’t have the desire to stay with it like the homeowner has, so I tend to use them sparingly when I really need brute manpower.

This is a great introduction thread and a good place to get to know the folks here. After you have a priority break it up into the correct forums and post photos and explain what you think you need and you will get some great help. Look at it as an educational and don’t be afraid to learn some skills. There are no stupid questions here, but be safe. Think everything thru and if it isn’t clear ask again. Get some good books on home wiring, plumbing and framing and do your homework. Even when you hire it done it’s good to know what you are getting.

Good luck, welcome and looking forward to seeing you post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 AM  
BandAidHome

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you all for the tips! I hadnt thought about posting a labor ad on CL. Might post something up for trade labor for bbq beer and computer work. Im pretty much set on the wiring needs to be done first. I have had intermittent issues since moving in though only minor. Now it has become a bit more severe like losing power on a whole trunk due to the wire burning through completely. The electrician that came out and fixed it not once but twice gave me a rough estimate of around 2k to rewire the whole house. Thats not nearly as bad as I was thinking it would be. The fist time it took him and his partner about 3 hours to track down the issue. But the second time it was just him and it was 30min tops. I guess he learned his way around my rats nest of a wiring situation.
The insurance claim agent that came out to check out the roof said there was a spot where some of the shingles had slid out as well as one of the vent pipes was not done right. They put the flashing under the shingles on all sides instead of having some of it on top of the shingles.
I can handle basic carpentry stuff, but Im not comfortable at all with wiring, especially since this stuff is almost 100 years old now haha. Thats why I would rather throw my tax return at someone else doing the wiring properly, then see what I can handle myself for the rest.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 PM  
slownsteady

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Don't forget to use the search box on this site frequently. You can find old posts that cover just about anything you can imagine.

Quick Reply