DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Help Temp fix required

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 03:59 AM  
Nammy

Default Help Temp fix required

I'm looking for a temp fix for a section of siding removed on my house that will last the winter before I replaced the siding next spring. I removed a door and had the fix some of the rooting wood so now I'm left with a large area without protection. I have tar paper on right now but looking for something better for the winter months ahead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 AM  
DrHicks
Big Hog

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How big is this area?

From what you're describing, if it was my house, I think I'd get a 4x8 piece of 1/4 inch plywood, cut it to fit, and nail it up. Then I'd use healthy amounts of paint and caulk to seal it up. A lower quality caulk will do a decent job of sealing, but by spring will be starting to lose the fight - making it easier to remove it.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:42 PM  
Nammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
How big is this area?

From what you're describing, if it was my house, I think I'd get a 4x8 piece of 1/4 inch plywood, cut it to fit, and nail it up. Then I'd use healthy amounts of paint and caulk to seal it up. A lower quality caulk will do a decent job of sealing, but by spring will be starting to lose the fight - making it easier to remove it.
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking along the same lines. I wonder how that pink foam insulation would hold up installing it the same way as the plywood deal??

Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM  
DrHicks
Big Hog

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammy View Post
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking along the same lines. I wonder how that pink foam insulation would hold up installing it the same way as the plywood deal??
Not very well.

On the other hand, it might not be a bad idea to put some 1/2 up, then nail the plywood over the top of it. I'd use longer shingle nails to do it.

Certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:19 PM  
Nammy

I went with the plywood. Should be good till next spring.

Quick Reply