DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Hi, need your assistance

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 PM  
Rachel_M

Default Hi, need your assistance

Hi,

I am considering having a general remodeling project and I am looking for licensed contractors in my area; I live in L.A, can someone please recommend me on one?

Thanks, Rachel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM  
sgeco

Likes Given: 2

found this list on yellow pages http://www.yellowpages.com/los-angeles-ca/licensed-contractors.

~ [URL="http://www.eco.ph"]Skylights[/URL] ~

Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 385 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 157

OH MY, Rachel . . . I live in S. Cal and there are so many ways to go. Home Depot has recommended contractors. Better than random Yellow Pages search. Know any churches? Check with them for contractors they have used successfully. Look around your neighborhood for remodeling activity . . . drop by and talk to the owners.

You can always test your ideas here . . . a lot of great minds and experience on this site.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:40 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 814 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

The happiest customers are the ones that have some idea of how much work has to be done and how indepth it should be. How old is the house and how big of a job are you looking to get done.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:59 PM  
AndyGump
Drawer of Homes

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel_M View Post
Hi,

I am considering having a general remodeling project and I am looking for licensed contractors in my area; I live in L.A, can someone please recommend me on one?

Thanks, Rachel
Some contractors are known as 'Design/Build' contractors. That is they can do your design, get the permits based on that design and do the construction work.

Or you can hire an independent designer that has contacts for contractors in your area. This is my suggestion and not just because I am a designer in your area (well maybe it is), LOL.

Where are you located in the L.A. area? It is a pretty big area after-all.

Andy.
Andy.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:52 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Prepare yourself before the (sometimes dreaded) contractor interviews by making a list of the things you want accomplished with your project, even including a few sketches or even photos you've seen and saved. Have a friend or two with you during the interviews--NEVER be there alone. Then make a list of questions to ask each contractor you interview, making a point of writing down his/her answers for your later evaluation, helping you rate one against the other. Finally, don't be afraid to contact the contractor licensing agency in your area--many of them maintain current lists of contractors, by specialties, and all will have records of those with significant performance problems in the past. Hint--do stay away from anyone with multiple license numbers and/or business names. It's just a trick to stay one step ahead of authorities trying to keep their shady operations in check.

Quick Reply