DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Home Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 10:45 PM  
Andrea

Default Home Insurance

Good Day to Everybody,

Kindly help me. I bought a house last week. I bought it from a good friend of mine. And I want to buy a insurance for it. I am asking some of my friends where did they get their insurance for their house. An by checking for insurance online I came into;

oneshopinsurance.com

Has anyone tried online insurance? how effective is the online quote system? can i depend my money on this?
If you have any suggestions it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrea

Last edited by Square Eye; 01-30-2007 at 06:26 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 12:25 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Andrea and Welcome:
I love to vist Chicago!
I would get at least 3 bids on the coverage and my old-fashioned mind wants to look an agent in the eyes. If the internet is the lowest price for comparable coverage and can tell you of a local adjuster for you to contact, then you can forget my old-fashioned ideas and probably get a good deal.
Hmmm, after re-reading that, it sounds like a politician's answer.
Glenn

Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 AM  
Andrea

Yeah Glenn, but i think searching for insurance in the net is more usefull, because i can compare insurance price and quotes, from many sorce, and at the end choose whats best for me,
I have also checked progressive and state farm

Andrea

Old 02-08-2007, 11:27 AM  
Rustedbird

I have Allstate for both the car and the townhouse. Thinking about firing them. They raised my house insurance because of the fire across the street. Arrgh.

It may not mean much but I did have this place throughly checked out and repaired when I bought it, plumbing and electrical-wise. Also added stuff like a dedicated smoke alarm circuit, CO detectors and two big honking fire extinguishers.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:59 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I buy my home and car insurance through the local Farm Bureau Insurance agency.
I know my agents, I do storm damage contracts for the company.
I have had a claim in the last 3 years and the claim was paid within a week.
For my money, being able to call my agent or walk in the door and they call me by name and ask me how's my kids, that means a lot to me and gives me great confidence that they'll take care of me and treat me fairly.

To each his own, I have shopped around but with the multiple policy discounts and clean driving record discounts, they are very competitive and I can't justify switching companies.

Try to shake hands with an on-line representative and see if you ever get to talk to the same person twice.
More than likely that won't ever happen

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 02-08-2007, 01:05 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

It seems that all the insurance companies want to tell you how you can save hundreds on your car insurance; maybe they will be the same about home-owner's. Try to get several companies bidding and make sure they all cover the same things, apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Brace yourself, they will all go up almost every year.
Glenn

Old 02-09-2007, 12:16 PM  
cibula11

Oftens times you get a pretty good cut in your insurance if you go through the same company that your cars are on.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:07 AM  
Rustedbird

I checked out the farm bureau.....just need another 9.9 acres. Oh well. Allstate does the car too, not much of a break.

Last edited by Rustedbird; 04-10-2007 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Added last sentence.

Quick Reply