DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > how do you make your home more attractive to buyers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:11 AM  
phreaq

HGTV has many shows that discuss how to spruce up a house with minimal budget.

I am always amazed at the transformations they can do on a house with very little money (with a LOT of labour). It may be worthwhile watching a few (my parents house, curb appeal, sell this house, etc) for not listed already.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 06:31 AM  
CraigFL

I just sold one of my homes two months ago. I think it is VERY difficult to predict how buyers will react to things-- paint colors or whatever. A seller that might think granite countertops are the ultimate may show it to a buyer who sees noting but high maintenance to keep it looking right. I tried to sell one of my homes with a $10K white marble floor to a buyer who liked carpeting. As an example I look at myself(I realize I'm not a typical buyer), I have bought 6 homes, sold 5. I buy homes(that I live in) for the potential not necessarily what I see existing. While I realize many can't see what their future home may look like, most that buy a home end up making it into what they want it to be. The other situation is that many of the sales hinge on the type of real estate salesperson you have and their ideas which may or may not confict with yours. Not many people can argue with clean & bright so this is the way I've tried to present my homes. The next most important thing is to be flexible with the terms and offer things that show that. Pay for closing costs, offer home warranties, have an inspection done and available as well as offering to reimburse for their inspection at closing, help with the down payment if it's that kind of home --- everyone wants to feel they saved some money or wants to hold onto some of their cash after closing for unexpected items.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply