DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > How much would it cost to open up a door in the basement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 04:53 PM  
new

Default How much would it cost to open up a door in the basement?

I just bought a townhouse. We were interested in looking for a home with walk-out basement, but we couldn't find it at the school location and our limited budget.

We like the one we bought except that its basement it totally underground. We would like to open up a door in one of the basement rooms, and walk up to our backyard. See the attached pic for the layout.

How much would such a project cost? Thanks.

home_improvement.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 06:10 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Basement Questions and Answers - Powered by vBulletin

Old 04-19-2010, 07:36 PM  
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
Well, that forum hardly has any posts. So, if my post is not violating the rules here, I'd like to hear people's comments.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

Your suggestion is very do-able but you can't get an accurate answer here. You should contact a local contractor for a price.

I will tell you that if I were doing it I would charge about$1800.00 and that would include a 3'-0" steel door and frame but I have the necessary tools assuming it is nothing more than a 5" poured concrete steel reinforced wall. If its concrete block the price would be the same. This includes hauling the spoils.

[SIZE="1"][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Some days I aspire to becoming a missing person.[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 PM  
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Your suggestion is very do-able but you can't get an accurate answer here. You should contact a local contractor for a price.

I will tell you that if I were doing it I would charge about$1800.00 and that would include a 3'-0" steel door and frame but I have the necessary tools assuming it is nothing more than a 5" poured concrete steel reinforced wall. If its concrete block the price would be the same. This includes hauling the spoils.
It's red brick wall. Is there concrete outside of this brick wall? I can't tell since it is underground.

The contractor would have to dig the backyard to make room for the walk-up stairs. Do you have the digging tools? If you are close, I am interested in contracting with you for this project.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 PM  
Cork-Guy
Cork Flooring Pros

I'd say around $1,500 to $2,200 off the top of my head; HOWEVER, this is just a best guess considering we don't have a actual view of the area and able to anticipate issues that may come up. BTW, is the do-able by building codes in your city-county? You must also consider issues with flooding.

[B][URL="http://www.corkflooringpros.com"]Cork Flooring[/URL][/B] - [B][URL="http://www.ventless-fireplace.org"]Ventless Fireplace[/URL][/B]

Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 PM  
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork-Guy View Post
I'd say around $1,500 to $2,200 off the top of my head; HOWEVER, this is just a best guess considering we don't have a actual view of the area and able to anticipate issues that may come up. BTW, is the do-able by building codes in your city-county? You must also consider issues with flooding.
I am not aware that this project may be an issue with my city administration. Gotta find that out.

Yes, some solid measure must be taken to prevent flooding.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. I was addressing only the door. Now you need someone to also do the excavation and what of the steps and forming walls around the steps. Now you're spending about $7000.00. And no I'm not anywhere near you which is why I say call a local contractor.

[SIZE="1"][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Some days I aspire to becoming a missing person.[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Yes, some solid measure must be taken to prevent flooding.
Now you need to house the stairway? There goes another $1800.00.

I suppose you also want a light and a light switch? In fact code may demand it. Oh-oh, now this has become a $10,000.00 project.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 PM  
new

Ha, you guys are funny, if I won't have the walk-up stairs, what's the point of openning up a door? Oh, yes, if there aren't walk-up stairs, would you still call that a door?

And were you assuming that the walkup stairs already exist to a wall without a door? I don't quite undertand you guys' way of thinking.

Last edited by new; 04-19-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply