DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > How to protect mirrored wall opposite bath demo

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM  
greenlady0

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How to protect mirrored wall opposite bath demo

We are doing a bath remodel down to the studs and I am concerned the shower is on the otherside of the hall that ends with a floor to ceiling mirror. I believe it was installed when the house was built in the eary 50's. There are clips all along the mirror as well as adjacent entry door trim so trim would have to be removed too remove mirror. There is play at the corners not sure if mastic was used as well. Any ideas? One mirror guy took a look and said it could not be taken down and put back up without breaking. Thought of taping and hoping for the best. Would appreciate any other thoughts...another mirror guy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 05:23 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

The best you can do is remove the trim and clips and see if the mirror comes off the wall.
I have taken down mirror that were glued to the wall without breakage although if it is glued, it will take some drywall with it when removed.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM  
greenlady0

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what did you use to seperate mirror where it was glued? not concerned about drywall tearing as much as removing the door trim without splitting and the mirror without breakage

Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I used a putty knife to get the mirror to come away from the wall just enough to get my fingers behind it. The mirror should only be glued with a few dabs of mastic. It's not totally buttered on the entire back surface. Where gloves & safety glasses just in case it should break. It would also help to take precautions in case the mirror breaks and large pieces come towards your lower torso. It should be made of tempered glass so if it does breaks, it will shatter into a million harmless pieces. To get the trim off, score all mating surfaces with a utility knife and get behind it with a flat bar. Go gently and evenly the length of the trim board to prevent splitting.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 379 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 152

If you are careful in the demo, you can do it without killing the mirror. This will require sawing the wall and prying the tile or whatever off instead of bashing it with hammers. Simple enough to do and you avoid the problem of wrecking a huge mirror.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:38 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 785 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

I agree, careful demo, is the best way to go.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM  
greenlady0

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks so much for the info as long as I let the workmen know these ideas came from their peers and not just me I should be in good shape

Old 04-08-2013, 03:49 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 785 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

That should be fairly early in the job, so if they give you a bad time, just send them home.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 319 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I think these latest DIY TV shows do a big disservice to the wanabe DIYers with all this bashing and crashing they do. Every show I have seen they always make a big production out of handing a couple young homeowners a sledge hammer and having them tear into a tile wall or a half way good looking kitchen countertop.

IMO all this type of demo does is make a bigger mess to clean up than needed. I always try and go slow and take stuff out in the biggest pieces I can and with the least amount of stuff hitting the floor. The builder should be careful and not damage the other side of the wall. All the new material can be screwed up and no worries about the mirror.

I just bought a used oak kitchen that the homeowner took the time to remove carefully and he got a nice little payback in cash for his efforts to not destroy it.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 408 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 131

But Bud, that wouldn't make for good tv ratings...

Quick Reply