DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > how and when to plant

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 09:17 PM  
warnerww

Default how and when to plant

OK I have about an acre of land that has been weed infested and cheat grass infested for years. I finally got around to tilling it today. The weeds and cheat have been tilled under and the land raked smooth. My question is what now. I know there is a million weeds and cheat waiting to come up. Do I plant now or kill the weeds when they come up and then plant this fall. I am not in a hurry. The acre has been weed infested for 10 years, I just want to plant a field grass that grows in the spring then goes dorment in the summer ( I live in eastern washington and it gets hot and dry summmers). The grass is only being planted to controll the weeds. I plan on mowing it once a year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM  
cibula11

If you kill the weeds now, and then wait, I would think you'll have some new weeds spring up by fall. I did that on a strip that I intended on rocking with landscape. I used round up, killed the grass, but then by the end of the summer I had a whole new kind of weed growing. I might try and do it all at once. FALL being the best time to seed because of the cooler temps. Spring is fine to seed if you want to spend a little more time with the care of it all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply