DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Inconvenient Space in a Wall Closet

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM  
pawned79

Default Inconvenient Space in a Wall Closet

My house has three wall closets that are 3ft x 10ft. Unfortunately, all of them only have a 4ft opening in the middle, leaving two 3ftsq areas in the corners. I’m imaging adding shelving to these areas, leaving only a 4ft wide hanging garment space and two alcoves of shelves for folded clothes and other items. Unfortunately, my wife and I share one of these wall closets.

Does anyone have any constructive suggestions as to how I could maximize the limited space that I have?

Thank you for your time,
Patrick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 02:46 PM  
CharlieO

The best solution, if you want to under take it is to widen the opening and install bifold or sliding doors, or move the opening and add another one to make 2 closets.
The third option depends on that you are trying to store! put 1 shelf all the way around the closet at 5'-6' high and put a hanging pole under it on the 2 ends, if you have short stuff you can put an upper and lower pole on one side.
You can put lower 12" deep shelves in the back of the pole to hold stuff you don't use alot.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 AM  
pawned79

Charlie,

Thank you for your input. Yes, you are right, moving the door or widening it so that it fills the closet would definitely maximize the space. Unfortunately, this closet is in the bathroom (I didn't design it), and the vaniety is on one side and the door to the bathroom is on the other. I real thorough renovation of the entire area would do wonders for the design, but the house isn't worth that kind of money, I am afraid.

I do like the idea of having additional rails up high. The closet is quite tall, probably standard 8ft or so. I definitely could have two racks of clothes.

Is there such a thing as a closet kit that is designed to roll out or swing out of the closet?

Patrick

Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 858 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 1484

If you think outside the box, whats on the other side of the walls? Would some of this space be better used as a hall closet or extra bedroom closet.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 AM  
pawned79

The garage is on the other side, specifically the fuse box and the water heater. Extending the closet would be costly, and the house isn't worth a lot of money. Alternatively, extending the bedroom into the backyard might be less costly and add more square footage to the house. This would allow for extra room to put in a full wall closet, and the closet in the bathroom (yes, in the bathroom) would become a giant linen closet. Hmm... That might work.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:28 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 858 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 1484

Nothing worse than waisted space in a closet. I had a house with a closet 30" wide and 6 ft deep so I know your pain.

Quick Reply