DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Insulate the bathroom vent hose to outside?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 AM  
drewdin

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Default Insulate the bathroom vent hose to outside?

Hi Guys,

I was in the attic the other day and i noticed the flexible duct that goes from my bathroom vent to the roof was pretty flimsy, is it worth insulating the ductwork and sealing the cap on the roof?

I tried a few google searches and it looks like there could be some condensation issues if its hot in the bathroom and cold in the attic and vice versa.

My question is, is it worth it? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 730 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

Yes you want to get the vapour out before it has a chance to condense. Condensing while in the attic may cause water to drip back into the fan or to lay in horizontal pipe in the attic. When it freezes it can open seams in the duct and appear like a roof leak.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 AM  
drewdin

Thanks for the quick response, ill look into insulation for the duct, do you recommend any specific type?

Old 03-11-2013, 01:31 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 100 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Not sure what your intent is but, you can purchase pre-insulated duct at the big-box stores.
This is your best bet against warm/moist air condensating in the exhaust duct but, it still happens. The shorter the run, the better.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:48 PM  
drewdin

Thanks, ill look into it when i get there. I dont really have any intent, i was just poking around the attic and i noticed that there was just some flexible ductwork and was curious if there was any way to improve or prevent any unwanted anything.

My friend always tells me that pre-mature upgrades are the root of all evil, i have not found any evil yet....

Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

If you get clumbsy and put your foot thru the ceiling while up there, he would be right.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:43 PM  
pstrick

Likes Given: 1

Default Is this gable venting of an exhaust fan acceptable?

My bathroom exhaust duct is positioned directly flush with the screen of my gable vent in the center. Reading this thread I am thinking about insulating the ducting.
But is it okay for the duct to be in this location?

Thanks

img_4420.jpg  

Old 11-28-2013, 05:22 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

pstric; Welcome to the site, any time air is coming in the vent it will bring that moisture with it. It would be better to be some distance from the vent. Thru the roof wouyld be best but sideways away from the vent would likely be better than that.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:59 AM  
Drywallinfo

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You can insulate this pipe with a few cans of expanding foam. A rigid foam like this will not absorb any moisture should it seep out at a joint or seam and will in fact seal it in. This will work well with a shorter run. For a very long run it might be impractical. See http://www.drywallinfo.com/drywall-mold-removal.html for a pic of this.

Last edited by Drywallinfo; 11-29-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM  
pstrick

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
pstric; Welcome to the site, any time air is coming in the vent it will bring that moisture with it. It would be better to be some distance from the vent. Thru the roof wouyld be best but sideways away from the vent would likely be better than that.
Thanks for the input- pretty much what I was thinking. The "handyman" who did the job originally just kind of rested the 4" pipe next to the gable, which meant nearly everything blew right into the attic. I did the job you see in the picture to temporize until I get someone to finish the job right.

Quick Reply