DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > insulating old home

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 AM  
hoarea

Default insulating old home

I am looking into redoing upstairs of 65 yearold home, there is a little bit of sawdust in the walls now bout not much. i am also having the wiring redone at the sametime. i live in ontario so we get some cold winds. i no i can get blowin but i dont really like it. my problem is i have two layers of drywall then laths and than a 1 inch board. does anyone no why there is a board there usually just laths on the studs. i hope someone can help.can i remove the inside board?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Hoarea:
Yes, you could remove the inside boards. The only thing is, if the walls were originally filled with sawdust (which is not too unusual in your area) you will sure have a mess on your hands to clean up.
I wold recommend removing the boards and replacing the insulation with a more modern version.
Glenn

Old 01-30-2008, 02:55 AM  
hoarea

thank u for your help any ideas why they put boards on the inside of the wall. i have worked on old homes before and usually the laths are right on the 2x4 studs

Quick Reply