DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Just Starting

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 09:40 PM  
frozenstar

That's a nice house you got there buddy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork-Guy View Post
Just a quick tip; you should always work form the top down, meaning starting at the roof and ending in the basement. For example, you don't want to re-drywall the second floor and then realize you need to tear it out to run conduit or plumbing
Agree on this one... It could mess up your flooring or basement if you start from down to top...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 06:14 AM  
Our-1st-Home

Thank you frozenstar, we have been looking at houses for about a year, and up until this one, the asking price was too high for the work to be done, or it was a good price, but someone elses dream home. We did not want to buy an exsisting home that didn't fit what we wanted. When we came across this, it was a good price, (basically we are paying for the land) we decided to go ffor it. The renovations are going to be alot of hard work, we have already had a few injuries, LOL. Steven's pry bar went through a wall too fast and came back and hit him in the forehead, I had to glue it..LOL. Also me a trash can full of wall board had some words as i was falling to the ground and it on top of me.. HAHA. We will be using the zip system I think for the roof. We will eventually go metal, but I think for now we will do shingle, cost wise it will be alittle less expensive and free up some money for other projects. Our main goal is to get the house weater proof, gut it, then start the inside. I agree with everyone about the basement, I think that will be done as we are doing floors.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 AM  
juliansellers

Send a message via MSN to juliansellers Send a message via Yahoo to juliansellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenstar View Post
That's a nice house you got there buddy..

Agree on this one... It could mess up your flooring or basement if you start from down to top...
I understand this but lets say you are jacking up the floors in basement to brace them, if you have done everything up top will this not maybe take things out of alignment or will the difference be negligible?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:30 AM  
juliansellers

Send a message via MSN to juliansellers Send a message via Yahoo to juliansellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork-Guy View Post
Just a quick tip; you should always work form the top down, meaning starting at the roof and ending in the basement. For example, you don't want to re-drywall the second floor and then realize you need to tear it out to run conduit or plumbing
This was one I meant to quote, my bad!

Tags
begin, foundation, new place

Quick Reply