DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Keeping motivated during a renovation while living in it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 06:25 PM  
NorthernSparky

Likes Given: 1

Default Keeping motivated during a renovation while living in it.

Hello all,

New to the forum. About a year and a half ago me and my long term girlfriend bought an old rental property. The house is a 2 bedroom 1 bath bungalow with a basement. New roof windows, windows, furnace and a good foundation were the selling points (and getting it for about 60% of what houses in the area where selling for).
The previous tenants had decided to paint the whole house (all 800 sq ft) black and red. So we took possession and promptly started on the living room. We painted the black ceiling in the living room white, ripped up all the laminate tile that was glue to the hard wood (took approx 50 hours with a heat gun). We took down a rotting garage in the back yard and clean up the GIANT MESS I MADE. I then gutted the old basement and framed it out, installed sub floor and ran out of money.
So, I went back to work, set up my tv in the basement, set up my drums in my drum room. and we started living in the house...

I still need to
-Replace all the galvanized pipe
-spray foam, drywall and finish my basement.
-paint the two bedrooms on the main floor.
-Finish re-wiring the house and upgrade the service (I am an electrician...)
-plumb and finish the basement bathroom
-gut and redo the upstairs bathroom
-rip up the old pad, put in a new one and build a new garage.
-gut and redo my kitchen.
-new sidewalks
-Figure out how to get my back yard to grow grass (it was used as a drive way and the put down stone).
-Replace my failing hot water tank.
-put the blown in insulation into my attic (all 52 bags are currently sitting in my basement
-There is more, I just can't think of it.

I am feeling overwhelmed, unorganized and unmotivated.

Help!

NothernSparky

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 PM  
nealtw

Liked 659 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Break it down to all the little jobs that can be done in a weakend and then put them in order of what needs to be done first and so on and don't buy stuff ahead of time to much, that will overwelm you. You need room to work so get rid of the insulation first, but makesure you maintain good ventulation in the attic. Plumbing before wiring and you may want to look a sanitary plumbing too.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:02 PM  
NorthernSparky

The girl friend keep buying stuff to add to the list. I have a room full of material just staring at me. LOL.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM  
NorthernSparky

I only have 2 months left on my electrical permit, I was working 24 days on 4 days off all winter.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:53 PM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 325 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Neal is right. Prioritize your list into do-able pieces. Tell the GF to stop piling stuff into your space until you can finish some of the top priorities. Think sequentially and in increments. It will get done but psychologically, you need to check off the work elements you finish and keep score.

You need to control the GF first, then the list, then the mental overage. It will all work out in the end.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:57 PM  
nealtw

Liked 659 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Sit down and do a budget for her to work from and go rent a storage unit and tell her the rent for that comes out of her budget. You have to get her to understand that a pile of stuff will defeat you and then nothing will get done. Get an extention on the permit.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 AM  
NorthernSparky

I told her to stop buying stuff, left out the storage unit bit though... don't wanna poke the bear too hard with a stick (my couch isn't as comfortable as my bed). Yeah I gotta stop thinking about the whole of the job, stuff is so much slower without apprentices to clean and goofer.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM  
Daddytron

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I feel for you... my bathroom project took FOREVER, because it seemed like there was always something else to be done. Usually when I take on a project, I like to make a list of what NEEDS to be done and where, then prioritize it on a scale of 1-3. Chip away at one thing at a time, wiring first as your permit will expire soon. Then one room at a time I'd leave the bedrooms to last, unless you need to live in them.

Over budget and behind schedule...
That's how I roll :)

Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 PM  
TerryDM

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Pretty sure the GF was buying stuff as an attempt to prod you along on getting going on doing stuff. That's the way them girls work. ha!
Anyway, you've already talked to her and asked her to quit buying stuff. That's good.
I always sit down and try to figure how long it's going to take me to do a project within reason and then.... I double the time. You are always going to run into more things that need to be done, things that go wrong, etc. etc.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:35 PM  
NorthernSparky

I am going to go and sit by a lake for the next 3 weeks, write a list and prioritize (there will also be beer and fishing). Hopefully come back with a better perspective. Think I am just burnt out.

Quick Reply