DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Keeping motivated during a renovation while living in it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts

Here's an idea--bring a new GF back from the lake, and tell the old one (and her stuff) to take a hike. Just tell her the consensus on HouseRepairTalk was to replace her with a more workable model. Besides, she probably doesn't even cook.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 AM  
NorthernSparky

Likes Given: 1

Lol, she cooks and cleans on top of her full time job. She just got a little excited about the new house.
I am gonna wait on trading her in for a younger model (she is still in her 20's)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 AM  
nealtw

Liked 693 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

There is nothing better than a live in rebuild to find out how well two people live and work together. If everything works out, you will have bought a house and turned into a home together. Better to excited than not interested, get your understanding worked out, spend some time on time line of work and budget and get to work.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 AM  
sharkbait

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Home is where the construction begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
There is nothing better than a live in rebuild to find out how well two people live and work together. If everything works out, you will have bought a house and turned into a home together. Better to excited than not interested, get your understanding worked out, spend some time on time line of work and budget and get to work.
My wife and I have begun a whole house renovation on a home we purchased in March. The house was almost 40 years old and had not been touched since it was built. We decided to completely remodel rather than build a new home. We sat together and planned the new floor plan and order of things that had to be done in order for us to live in the house during the remainder of the renovation. I have to admit that we did go over budget on a number of items but stuck to our original plan. My wife works out of the home so when she is at work, I try to get things accomplished that she can readily recognize as being complete and still get on with the plan. It makes her feel we are moving toward our goal. For example, if I have to do some rewireing, then I try to set a new toilet or tile a floor so she has a visual on the progress. She likes that and I don't have to toot my horn about it. It works for us, maybe it can work for you too.
Brian

Quick Reply