DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Kitchen Cabinets

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 05:01 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default Kitchen Cabinets!!!! UPDATES

So, since I decided to get kitchen cabinets down the line when I can get more of what I want and less of what I can afford.... I decided to paint them.... Now, mind you... the cabinets are still nasty and still need to be replaced... but.. since I have painted them, there is so much more light in the room!!! Now, I know there is paint all over the counters... I am going to make new ones... so I didnt care if they got painted... I still have a few cabinets to go and I need to also finish the soffit paint and the corner paint by the door..... but tell me what you guys think about the cabinets... and make sure you compare to the before pictures in my gallery.....

this is the after picture....

the second pic is before move-in last summer

kitchen-2.jpg   kitchen-before-move-.jpg  

Last edited by shan2themax; 03-10-2008 at 09:03 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 05:09 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

looks good.. great color choice. i wouldnt have thought of it. is that just standard waterbased paint?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:14 PM  
shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyod View Post
looks good.. great color choice. i wouldnt have thought of it. is that just standard waterbased paint?
It is KILLZ casual colors INterior satin enamel (100% acrylic latex)... I got it at walmart over the summer when I bought the house but had never taken the oppurtunity to paint the kitchen....

I love the color... I cant remember the name but it is something like red ginseng I believe..... I should mention it is a base 3 and is also mildew resistant.....

Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Lookin' good Shan
I like the color on the cabinets and, you're right, it does make the room much brighter. So, what is your plan for the countertops? Lowes will cut the sink out and miter the corner for you if you plan to stay with a fromica top. Or you could use some 3/4" plywood for a top with granite tile on it.
Then there is the Corian that can be bought to fit and with the cut-out.
I think you have it under control.
Glenn

Old 03-11-2008, 02:32 PM  
shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Lookin' good Shan
I like the color on the cabinets and, you're right, it does make the room much brighter. So, what is your plan for the countertops? Lowes will cut the sink out and miter the corner for you if you plan to stay with a fromica top. Or you could use some 3/4" plywood for a top with granite tile on it.
Then there is the Corian that can be bought to fit and with the cut-out.
I think you have it under control.
Glenn

I was going to go with a countertop at lowes... but... my 4 area lowes will not cut the premade ones... but .... when I was looking at them... they didnt really have something that went with the look/colors that I was going for.... so... I think that I am going to go with tiling a coutertop myself.... the only downside with that is .... if I really like it... when I buy new cabinets... then what will I do for a countertop.... I have been trying to figure out how I could reuse the one I make for the new one in a few years... but then again.. I am a woman, I am liable to change my mind about what I like in a few years...

I did just sign up for 44 hours of overtime in the next 2 weeks though... so hopefully sometime after that I can get busy....

Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice work, Shan.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Shan:
Making the tile countertops yourself will not be a major investment like a granite top, so it won't be too big a heart breaker to destroy it in a few years. Plus, think of all the experience you got.
Glenn

Old 03-12-2008, 01:22 PM  
shan2themax

Quote:
Hello Shan:
Making the tile countertops yourself will not be a major investment like a granite top, so it won't be too big a heart breaker to destroy it in a few years. Plus, think of all the experience you got.
Glenn
Touche..... I am excited to get started!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Hello Shan:
Glenn
I did exactly this and the tiling was easy - just do a careful layout before you begin. One thing I learned is that if you mix plywood and cement board, measure the actual thickness of both before you begin. They are not exactly as dimensioned.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:24 AM  
shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I did exactly this and the tiling was easy - just do a careful layout before you begin. One thing I learned is that if you mix plywood and cement board, measure the actual thickness of both before you begin. They are not exactly as dimensioned.
That is great advice!!! I may have just opted to go with the stated sizes..... and with my luck.. whatever I picked out wouldnt have worked.....

Quick Reply