DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Kitchen Remodel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 AM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kitchen Remodel.

We have started the process for a kitchen remodel. Hired a designer to help us with the layout, etc.

What do I need to think about as we move forward with this project??? Bring it all on. We don't intend to start demo until next spring since it involves exterior door/window/wall work which will leave us exposed.

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 10:18 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Jeff, buy your appliances before you order your cabinets and take lots of pics. Hope it turns out as well as your outside project.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:28 AM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good thinking right there...they might discontinue a specific model between the time of picking one and installing it...

We've picked out the fridge and wall oven/microwave. We're re-using our current stove ('47 O'Keefe), and our dishwasher because it's just fine, and they are pretty standard size anyway. Looking for a vent hood (built in and framed with cabinetry)

Not sure yet with cabinetry. A good friend of ours is a cabinet maker, and has offered to do the kitchen for us, but he is expensive...may go semi-custom instead.

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Old 09-06-2011, 01:49 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default yup

My
leave your good freinds where they are, as freinds. $$ and deadlines tend to make a hardship, And unless they are willing to work on the price, and you don't complain about anything, been there done that.

As far as a designer, get as much out of magazines and books that you can, get a good remodelor, and save your $$. I have worked with many, and cannot say I was any more impressed than any of the jobs customers did themselves with plenty of homework....and a good remodeler.

Last thing, get ready to live like a refugee for at least 6 months, no kidding.

Good luck!! And take lots of pics!

Just My
Made in the

Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

I've done 2 major kitchen remodels, and did my own design work, electrical, demo, framing, rocking, cabinet install, etc. It's hard work, but very satisfying. Best single feature in the last place was going with under-cabinet low-voltage lighting, wired to a single dimmer, all around the room. Expect the unexpected, and deal with it--like having to start from scratch with all of the custom cabinets when the first supplier's disgruntled employee managed to vandalize everything after it had been placed in their truck the night before delivery--washing dirty dishes in the bathtub for 4 weeks is no fun.

Last edited by BridgeMan; 09-09-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 PM  
carolinacustomkb

As Inspector said save your money and get a good remodeler. See previous work in person, pictures will never tell you the whole story. Remember you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply