DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > leaking door after new siding installed

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 10:11 PM  
joa629

Default leaking door after new siding installed

We just had our house sided and replaced all of the gutters. While all of our previous leaks are now gone, we have a new leak where the top of the sliding doors meets the ceiling. We've had the installers out twice, but it is still leaking during heavy rain. This never happened before. What would be the most likely cause?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 99 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default somewhere

There is a flashing issue. Could be a window above the door. Look for an area where they tucked their raincoat into their pants.
The weather barrier which is under the siding material needs to overlap each other , so when the water gets behind it runs down the material and goes over the piece below. If there is anyplace that the upper piece goes behind the lower piece...tuck your raincoat in your pants and find out what happens.
Inexperience is what this job sounds like.

Just My
Made in the

Old 08-30-2009, 06:40 PM  
joa629

Default found the problem...now what?

I found the source of the leak. It is coming from an upstairs window. There are four, small factory made holes in the track that the screen in the upstairs window sits in. I poured water directly into the holes and was able to replicate the leak. On all of my other windows, these drainage holes sit out beyond the house so they drain to the outside. On this particular window, the window track is flush with the house. Would caulking the holes be a long- term solution to the problem? There is an opening at the end of the track to let built up water drain outside. Also, is this something that the siding installers should have been aware of? Is it their responsibility to come out and fix the problem? Thanks for your time and help.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:25 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 99 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default yup

The siding folks should be able to install a piece of drip flashing under the window and over the siding, sometimes things are just overlooked.
At least this is a simple solution, about an hours time.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply