DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Looking to drill holes through tiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 11:04 AM  
tractng

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Looking to drill holes through tiles

I want to install a handle in the bath tub area. Many attempts of using a suction handles failed.

What tip of drill do I need? I am not sure if this is ceramic or porcelain tile. It has been a few years since I install the tub.

tntrac

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:20 PM  
mintset

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
I want to install a handle in the bath tub area. Many attempts of using a suction handles failed.

What tip of drill do I need? I am not sure if this is ceramic or porcelain tile. It has been a few years since I install the tub.

tntrac
i would use a carbide tip drill bit. the same used for drilling through concrete will work. i did this many times and used a piece of masking tape over the spot and made a small chip with a black drywall screw (these are very hard tipped) as a starting point for the bit. depending how large a hole you are making start off with a smaller bit than the finished hole. hth

Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 PM  
tractng

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintset View Post
i would use a carbide tip drill bit. the same used for drilling through concrete will work. i did this many times and used a piece of masking tape over the spot and made a small chip with a black drywall screw (these are very hard tipped) as a starting point for the bit. depending how large a hole you are making start off with a smaller bit than the finished hole. hth

Thanks man. The screws come with the handle so its a small size.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Some clarification if you haven't already drilled your holes (and for others considering something similar): if the tiles are actually porcelain and not just ceramic, a regular carbide bit suggested by others may not be hard enough to penetrate. Porcelain tiles are harder than conventional ceramic, and usually require a diamond-tipped drill bit. A bit pricier than carbide-tipped, but well worth the extra cost. I've had a few diamond-tipped bits going on more than 30 years, and they still work for drilling holes in glass (I'm a part-time stained glass artist). Carbide tips are too soft for glass and most porcelain.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 385 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 157

There are diamond bit hole saws for drilling into tile. I use them to fit new tile over the valve stems of for the tub spout. They work magnificently! Be patient, drill smoothly, and you will get great results.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&node=552894&keywords=porcelian+hole+saw&t ag=googhydr-20&hvadid=3835979771&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hv rand=9447297441315736529&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&r ef=pd_sl_38azw42kko_e

GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:27 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 813 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

The small diamond bits are slick.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/5-16-inch-diamond-drill-bit/922385

Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 AM  
ownerbuilder2012
Aspiring DIYer

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have tried the carbide tip and it works well. Another you need to remember is to layout the holes correctly so that they would be perfectly leveled.

Quick Reply