DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > "Master" bath remodel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 04:55 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Looks good

Nice progress, are you going to seal the marble? Usually a good idea, keeps those strange rust spots away.
Nice.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Nice progress, are you going to seal the marble? Usually a good idea, keeps those strange rust spots away.
Nice.
We sealed the marble on Sunday. Used 511 Miracle natural stone sealer, which was recommended by the tile place. My wife tested it yesterday by putting some water on the tile and grout. She let it sit for about 30 minutes and then wiped it up. The floor didn't absorb any of the water, and left no discoloration.

We installed a "room occupancy" light switch to pass inspection (it's a code item). Once finalled, we've got a push button switch for the light, and an electronic timer for the fan that will have an Oil Rubbed Bronze cover plate to match the dup outlets. It was really difficult to find an electronic timer in black, but some friends of ours run a lighting shop, and they were able to get one made by Lutron

We placed the vanity last night. The room seems much smaller now...

1.jpg   2.jpg  

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Old 01-29-2008, 04:34 PM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I talked with the marble counter top people today. I was hoping to get a backsplash that matched the bottom detail on the vanity because of the location of the outlets relative to the vanity top (drawing below), but as it turns out this could be rather expensive. If it offsets the cost of the lip they were going to add to the perimeter to make it look 1.5" thick (but decided not to add), I think I could justify it.

If it's prohibitively expensive, I may try something a little different.

What would you think about a Mahogany Backsplash on the White Carrerra Marble top???

img_4087.jpg   backsplash.jpg  

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Old 01-30-2008, 05:53 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Go one further...

Sometimes I learn something from those pain in ....decorators... .
We had an issue with outlets in the wrong spot...we raised them to sit on the back splash with old work boxes.
Or you can get decorative...designer wise...and build a back splash out of tile. You could let it incorporate your mirror with an arch on top.
Stay away from the funny fixes...they stand out. JMHO.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-30-2008, 11:07 AM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So we decided to go with no backsplash. I'll mock up a wooden backsplash and see if we like it. The counter top company had a couple of pictures of vanities with stone tops and wood backsplashes, and they looked really nice..

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 AM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Remember the old tub? It was painted mustard yellow and the feet were painted white. We had the feet refinished in ORB and painted the tub dark green to accent the walls and add more color to the room...

I think the picture doesn't show the dark green very well...

tub-before.jpg   tub-after.jpg  

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Old 02-05-2008, 05:35 PM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I FINALLY got the countertop ordered. There was some mis-communication between me and the countertop company. They couldn't find a partial slab, so I have to buy a full slab, which added quite a bit to the top. I asked if they could just bring the rest of the slab to me and I'll drop it in my yard until I decided what to do with it. They said it would be too heavy, blah, blah...but they could cut other parts from it for $35/sq.ft. polished edge, delivered. I'm not sure what I want to use it for right now, so that wasn't going to work.

Then I finally talked to the guys that do the work. They said no problem to cut the rest of the slab into three pieces like I show below at no extra charge. And, since I changed the edge detail to be just a 3/4" polished edge, the price dropped considerably.

Now I'm just waiting for them to come over and measure the top...

The tub is ready to go up and be installed, so is the toilet. I've got two buddies on the hook to help move the tub upstairs. I'll be sure to take pictures of that for insurance purposes

countertop-cut-sheet.jpg  

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Old 02-11-2008, 02:22 PM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Big Day!

Well, today is sort of a big day for the remodel. This evening a couple of friends are coming over and we're moving the tub upstairs

I finished putting all the valves on the pipes this weekend. The countertop people made a template for the vanity top on Friday, so that should be done in a couple of weeks.

The tub getting upstairs will be interesting. We have to stand it up on end at the landing of the stairs to get around the corner... I've attached a couple of pictures to show what we're up against. One from the bottom, and one from the top. The only railing that has been installed at this point is the top section that goes around the corner on the landing. The rest of the railing is still being refinished in the garage...

Our plan (yeah, that's going to make a difference) is to bring the tub up drain end first, and when the feet are on the top step (on the landing) tip the other end of the tub up so it's standing on end. Then we'll slide it over and lower it back down and carry it up the rest of the way. I'll give the wife the camera and let her take some pics of this all happening...

3.jpg   4.jpg  

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, we made it up the stairs and the tub is now in the bathroom!

Best of all....NO INJURIES!!!

We had two people at the top, one at the bottom (the strongest of the three of us). We took it about two steps at a time, tipped it up on end at the landing, slid across, lowered it back down and carried it up the rest of the way. Just like we planned it.

We put it in the bathroom, but I haven't taken the wrapping off the feet or placed it on the coasters.

I hope to have the tub and toilet plumbed and operable in the next day or two. Then it's time for a good long soak

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 AM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Finally remembered to bring the camera in so I could post a few pictures.

The tub went in fine, but I'm taking my time cutting the drain tube extensions...don't want to cut them too short

Here are a few pictures of my progress showing the tub with tower drain and faucet, coasters for the claw feet, and the "nook" for the toilet brush...

I should have the tub completed and the commode in by the end of the week. finally getting close to done

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Quick Reply