DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Master Bath or Separate Bath?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 03:50 PM  
kmb383

Default Master Bath or Separate Bath?

I'm remodeling my upstairs. Downstairs there is one bedroom and one small bathroom along with the living and dining rooms and the kitchen. I am adding dormers to the upstairs to make three bedrooms and one bath. Would it increase the resale value to add the bathroom as a separate bath or as a master bath? It would be 6x9. The downstairs bath is full but only 5x7.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 09:13 PM  
profenx

Did you say you were adding 3 bedrooms and a bath upstairs? What is up there now?

I'm not sure about resale value, but i think when shopping for a home, the master bed with a bath was more appealing. I think i would pay extra for it, but if you have 3 bedrooms upstairs and only 1 bath up there, maybe it would be better to have it on its own instead of having it in the master bed. The thought of ppl in 2 other rooms running downstairs to use the restroom sucks!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:41 AM  
kmb383

Upstairs now there is two oversized rooms. I'm adding dormers to the front and one large on the back to gain the extra needed space. Point taken but still unsure what would increase resale more. Any realtors with ideas from previous experience?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 AM  
Albert_23

In my opinion remodeling a master bath or creating a new one to your home can add value to your home if the layout and design is current.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:10 AM  
jimmy50

Would the occupants of the other 2 upstairs bedrooms have to use the downstairs bathroom if you make it a master bath?

Old 10-13-2010, 01:24 PM  
Ron6519

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To add resale, you would need a bath for the two bedrooms and a masterbath. To have 2 bedrooms upstairs and no bathroom associated with them would not make sense.
Ron

Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 PM  
dremodeling
Renovator

I would say to go with the trend in your area. If it’s a new development nearby, master down is preferred. If the houses in your area are old, probably they have the master upstairs, so it’s ok to have one upstairs and will increase the market value. Anyway a home improvement will increase the value of the house.

[url=http://www.dremodeling.com]Home remodeling contractor in Philadelphia area[/url]

Old 10-20-2010, 03:27 PM  
rnddude

I would vote for a Master bathroom PLUS an additional common-use bathroom to service the other bedrooms. If you can position it (the common bathroom) on a common wall relative to the Master bath, you can share the plumbing and drains, much easier and cheaper to do. This is the best for utility and resale. The upper two bedrooms having to use a Master bath or go downstairs to use that bathroom would be a deal-breaker for me if I was looking to buy...

Last edited by rnddude; 10-20-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 AM  
jimmy50

What did you decide to go with??

Quick Reply