DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > mobile homes remodels

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 PM  
89basek

Default mobile homes remodels

hey guys just found this site, i have a 2002 model fleetwood doublewide, doing a remodel already did laminate floors but having trouble with the trim due to corners not being square any suggestions? also fixing to do master bath remodel by taking out garden tub which is 4x5 and putting in stand up shower with tile any help would be great.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 02:54 AM  
BridgeMan

Liked 62 Times on 57 Posts

For the trim, I'd suggest using a bevel-T to measure each corner, then reproduce the angle (with pencil) on pieces of cardboard. Use a compass or protractor to measure each angle, then just divide same by 2 to determine each trim piece angle.

If you're using a custom mortar pan for the shower base, make sure the pan doesn't overload the double-wide's subflooring. You may have to strengthen the floor's supports under the shower, or go with a lighter fiberglas or acrylic base.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 PM  
thegogetter222

Likes Given: 4

sorry for the late post, but bridgeman owned this one. Well done!

Home Built 1995
Slab foundation
13acres in the middle of the woods
Kids, Tractors, family
www.youtube.com/user/thegogetter222

Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 PM  
isola96

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I second that notion, I like to brake off little piece of shim put it under the piece of trim thats not connecting right using chop saw to make the offset connection fit.

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 AM  
joecaption

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When install the trim you start with the top piece, making sure there's the same exposure on both ends and the middle. Then you start on the sides by placing a nail from the top and on the side, making sure the nails long enough to go through both pieces. I then install two nails about 6" apart on the face into the jam. With it held firmly in place and the joint tight I can now move the long part around to get my exposures right. I nail the middle, then the bottom, then go back and make sure it's tight to the jam. If not just add more nails.
If your trying to do this nailing by hand concider buying, borrowing, renting a pneumatic finish nailer (not a brad nailer). It will be worth it's weight in gold.
If your trying to cut the trim with a cheap plastic mitre box, it's never going to come out right. A compound mitre saw will be far more accurite.
It's hard for me to believe the corners are so far out of square that my suggestions will not work but if they are this simle tool will tell you exactly what angle to cut it.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4ADSA_enUS366US367&q=starrett+505p-7&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8275000015837360979&sa=X&ei=lwqoTvL DLZCL0QHv2MmBDg&ved=0CF4Q8wIwAQ#
Most mobile homes I've worked on had partical board for a sub floor. Not sutable for tile.
It needs to come out and be replace with something like 3/4" Advantec T&G that gets constrution adhesive on the tops of the joist and the subflooring gets screw down with 2-1/4 ceramic coated decking screws.
Then you need a layer of thin set to bed the 1/2" tile board in. The tile board gets screwed down with tile board screws, making sure not to screw into the floor joist. (a simple piece of blue tape on the walls can mark where the joist are.
The reason you do not screw into the floor joist with the tile board is your trying to pull it down where there is a tiny gap between the floor joist.

Last edited by joecaption; 10-26-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Quick Reply