DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Moisture on insulation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 04:16 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgittoes View Post
thanks for the information and thoughts on this. The access to the crawl space is from the existing basement. I opened it up and put a little space heater in there and it has dried up nicely. I am thinking the moisture is coming from the ground so what I am going to do up put some poly on the ground and attach it to the STYROFOAM insulation on the inside on the concrete grade beam with some acoustic sealant.
i would think that that will do the job if you can seal off the ground good. Let use know how it works. Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

That is the bigger problem, Paul is right with new houses they do call for foam against the concrete to below the frost line but they also call for water proofing the outside of the foundation, drainage system outside below the level of the inside fill, poly on the fill and concrete on top of that. You can do what ever you want but the problem is water in the crawl space, and that needs to be addressed first and then insulate the rim joist.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply