DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Mold

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM  
newtimer1

Default Mold

I hope I am in the right thread?
I have a contract on a Foreclosure, built in 2000, on a slab, about l400 SF,

I saw a black spot on the ceiling in the Garage, there is a bonus room above it and the attic is accessable through a door there, I opened the door and the HVAC is right in front, there is a water stain on the floor by the overflow pan, and a loose PVC pipe that evidently had been replaced, I am wondering if the water came from there and filtered it's way along the flooring to the Garage somehow.. I had a plumbing inspection, but he could not tell me anything, I have a Contractor comming this evening to get his opinion, also a Roofing Co, comming next week (my due dilligence is up on the 16th)..Roofers are swamped here now because of hail damage..

I called one Roofing Co and they said they would not touch the Mold, I would need to get an Abatement Co.? In researching it on line, I am very worried that I will have a huge expense with this..from replacing ceiling to insulation etc, due to this mold...not sure if it is Black Toxic Mold or Black Mold?

Any suggestions on where to start, I have never had to handle these types of things..so I am at a loss here.

If I am on the wrong thread. please direct me.
Thank you,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 AM  
EdiblePlanet
DIY.EdiblePlanet.org

Hi Newtimer1,

The first thing I would do is to buy a dehumidifier and place it in the garage. If it's just a small spot it may be a simple cleanup of the area with bleach/water solution. Here is a good webpage to get you started on that -

http://www.onlinetips.org/black-mold/get-rid

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Scott

“Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency" - Epicurus. Free DIY Ebooks @ [URL="http://DIY.EdiblePlanet.org"]DIY.EdiblePlanet.org[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply