DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Home Improvement Discussion (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f45/)
-   -   Mold down my fireplace. Help! (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f45/mold-down-my-fireplace-help-7755/)

Jasonblu 10-14-2009 06:30 PM

Mold down my fireplace. Help!
 
hi all.

We just bought a house with a leaky fireplace. The flashing on the roof has lost it's seal. From the water that has leaked through and into and around the upstairs fireplace for who knows how long I have a strong sour moldy smell all around my fireplace. I have ripped out all the moldy drywall that was in the downstairs ceiling around and under the fireplace but it stillll stinks bad. How do I kill all the mold I assume is growing like mad down the inside of the Upstairs fireplace? Pour bleach water into the loose flashing on the roof and let it trickle down behind the fireplace and walls and hope it kills it all then reseal the flashing or just fix the flashing and hope over time the mold will dry up and go away, or some other solution other than tearing down the whole fireplace.??

kok328 10-15-2009 07:40 AM

I think I just read here that bleach will clean up the mold but, the spores will close up and begin to grow again after awhile. I was told that a 10:1 ratio of water and vinegar will change the Ph level to the point that the mold will not reoccur.

Cork-Guy 10-15-2009 08:06 AM

Mold is a serious issue; you won't be able to destroy all the mold since the spores have probably traveled beyond the initial leak and your attempts with bleach or the 10:1 water\vinegar ratio won't get it all. For the safety of your family consult with a professional service that deals with mold and mildew removing.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 AM.