DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Mold down my fireplace. Help!




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 PM  
Jasonblu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Default Mold down my fireplace. Help!

hi all.

We just bought a house with a leaky fireplace. The flashing on the roof has lost it's seal. From the water that has leaked through and into and around the upstairs fireplace for who knows how long I have a strong sour moldy smell all around my fireplace. I have ripped out all the moldy drywall that was in the downstairs ceiling around and under the fireplace but it stillll stinks bad. How do I kill all the mold I assume is growing like mad down the inside of the Upstairs fireplace? Pour bleach water into the loose flashing on the roof and let it trickle down behind the fireplace and walls and hope it kills it all then reseal the flashing or just fix the flashing and hope over time the mold will dry up and go away, or some other solution other than tearing down the whole fireplace.??



__________________
Jasonblu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Blanc, MI
Posts: 2,167
Liked 100 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

I think I just read here that bleach will clean up the mold but, the spores will close up and begin to grow again after awhile. I was told that a 10:1 ratio of water and vinegar will change the Ph level to the point that the mold will not reoccur.

__________________
kok328 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 08:06 AM  
Cork-Guy
Cork Flooring Pros
 
Cork-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 243
Default

Mold is a serious issue; you won't be able to destroy all the mold since the spores have probably traveled beyond the initial leak and your attempts with bleach or the 10:1 water\vinegar ratio won't get it all. For the safety of your family consult with a professional service that deals with mold and mildew removing.

__________________

[B][URL="http://www.corkflooringpros.com"]Cork Flooring[/URL][/B] - [B][URL="http://www.ventless-fireplace.org"]Ventless Fireplace[/URL][/B]

Cork-Guy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
kill mold, loose flashing, moldy fireplace

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Mold? Mr.Me Cleaning 14 06-10-2012 03:45 PM
Mold please help sp9659 Flooring 2 02-12-2010 10:41 PM
New to Mold moldgirl Introductions 4 11-11-2009 01:14 AM
Mold or What jlwelding General Home Improvement Discussion 1 06-22-2009 04:47 PM
dry rot and mold starrider Carpentry and Woodworking 27 07-26-2006 12:07 AM