DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Home Improvement Discussion (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f45/)
-   -   Mold or Mildew (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f45/mold-mildew-3213/)

kc2651 12-11-2007 10:46 AM

Mold or Mildew
 
I think that I have some mold or mildew in my basement. i have been ripping out walls and insulation there is a black discoloration on the insulation and on the studs but there is not any build up has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem at all and if so how should i clean the mess or is removing the insulation and paneling enough? thanks for your help

glennjanie 12-11-2007 03:12 PM

Welcome KC from SC:
Some insulation has some small amount of tar in the vapor barrier which will bleed through after several years and get on the studs. Heat a spot of it with a hair dryer and see if it runs OR put a drop of bleach on it to see if it turns white right away. White means mold or mildew (practically the same) running means tar.
Merry Christmas KC
Glenn

ToolGuy 12-11-2007 10:10 PM

And speaking of bleach...

If it's mold or mildew (is there a difference?), use bleach to clean/kill it. Breath Safely! ;)

kc2651 12-12-2007 05:43 AM

Thanks
 
thanks Glenn and Tool Guy for the quick response i will try this today and I'll let you know:cool:

kc2651 12-12-2007 10:44 AM

i tried it but i am confused
 
i put bleach on the black spots but it did not turn white nor did the hair dryer make it melt, keep in mind there is no build up at all it just looks like its made there. the insulation did have black discoloration on the sides at the studs. thanks for your help

ToolGuy 12-12-2007 01:51 PM

I think you're probably okay as long as the area in question is not subject to moisture. On the other hand, cleaning the area with a water/bleach solution as a precaution won't hurt anything. Use your best judgement and thanks for keeping us posted. ;)

kc2651 12-12-2007 03:26 PM

Sounds Good
 
this is in the basement and subject to mositure. i did find this cleaner/preventer at HD for $30 that covers 500 square feet so i think i will get that and give it a try just spray and walk away. now that is what i like.:cool:

ToolGuy 12-12-2007 05:00 PM

Simple is good. ;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:35 PM.