DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Mold Removal/Remediation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 06:29 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Default depends

As long as you remove all the mold, and dry it out completely...start at it.
you need to keep the bathroom dry as much as you can from now on.
Make sure your fan/vent is working to exhaust moisture to the outside of the building from the bath room.
If you do not have a fan, put a good one in. It will save you from having this issue again...as long as you always turn it on.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 08:07 PM  
derekm

Default thanks

Thanks for the answer.

I have a working fan but the previous owner did some strange things here.

Found the bathroom floor/subfloor had been replaced once before. with partical board. Lotsa work ahead and I actually remembered to take before pictures.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:39 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Default Good luck

We are all around when you need some more helpful advice.

Just My
Made in the

Old 07-06-2008, 04:14 AM  
gerrit duits
master builder

i support kg donna & inspector d

[FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 01-11-2009, 01:27 PM  
JamesDee

Default Remember to find the source of the problem first..

Since you may be doing it yourself, I just wanted to chime in and talk about my experience. I had someone do the job costed me a good amount of money.

Then came to find that the source of the problem was no fixed. Be sure to find the source of the problem. I learned the hard way. But I did find an awesome course that may help some people...

It did help me, because I removed my mold mold problem from my bath and it was pretty easy once you know the steps.

If anyone is up to it, the course is the mold manuscript and is not to bad. They give you a couple of free guides in doing all the inspecting and mold remediation. May be helpful, if you need to do a mold remediation project yourself, it is called the Mold Manuscript

Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 AM  
h2o2009

Just make sure that you seek professional help on this if your budget permits it. Get several quotes to make sure you are not getting ripped off by anyone. Good luck.

[URL="http://www.h2odrying.com"]charlotte mold remediation[/URL]

Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 AM  
Raposon

Default Bathrom mold problem.......need help

We bought a house two years ago and found mold ON the bathroom walls, I say ON because it is not coming through the firewall, it seems to be building up on the walls. I used bleach, I sanded most of the paint down, (at this point is when I noticed the mold almost all gone, it was not coming from behind the walls). I filled in cracks with spackle, sanded smooth again and painted with primer and new latex paint. It was clean for about a month and then it started again, it was more widespread this time as I foolishly disconnected the extractor fan and allowed the shore vapor to linger, as soon as I reconnected it, it alleviated the problem somewhat but it still remains. HELP!!! I am losing my mind as this seems to be affecting allergies in my family....thanks in advance for any advice

Old 12-06-2009, 01:27 PM  
Launchpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raposon View Post
We bought a house two years ago and found mold ON the bathroom walls, I say ON because it is not coming through the firewall, it seems to be building up on the walls. I used bleach, I sanded most of the paint down, (at this point is when I noticed the mold almost all gone, it was not coming from behind the walls). I filled in cracks with spackle, sanded smooth again and painted with primer and new latex paint. It was clean for about a month and then it started again, it was more widespread this time as I foolishly disconnected the extractor fan and allowed the shore vapor to linger, as soon as I reconnected it, it alleviated the problem somewhat but it still remains. HELP!!! I am losing my mind as this seems to be affecting allergies in my family....thanks in advance for any advice
First of all the mold has to be removed. If you have Drywall- cut it out and trash it. Bleach will not do much for you. It will kill some mold and make it look like it has disappeared by blonding it. Best thing to use is soap and water on affected areas- BUT DO NOT RE-USE YOUR RAG!!!! Dip one rag inthe bucket, wipe down studs or whatever your cleaning and then throw it away. This will help to not spread the mold further.

Check all areas that could have mold. Corners and crevices can hold a lot. Once all of your affected areas have been removed (Including any insulation in the affected area) and remaining areas wiped down with soap and water, you need to spray (Liberally) the area with some kind of anti- microbial. I normaly use Sporacidine but there are probably a few other products out there that will work.

Building a Negative air chamber for the bathroom would be recomended, but I will assume you don't have the equipment and this would be just a bit out of the DIY area.

Good luck!

[B][COLOR="Blue"]I was lying in bed, looking at the stars, and I wondered, where did my ceiling go?[/COLOR][/B]

Old 12-06-2009, 01:30 PM  
Launchpad

I also wanted to add that dead mold is just as dangerous as live spores. The mold is still toxic and any of it that gets airborne will still cause you problems, which is why the mold has to be removed, not covered up or hidden.

[B][COLOR="Blue"]I was lying in bed, looking at the stars, and I wondered, where did my ceiling go?[/COLOR][/B]

Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 AM  
stevensonjames88

Its been over a year and I just wanted to say that removing molds nowadays can be a DIY thing as long as you know the safety precautions.Kindly check my signature.

[url=http://www.getmoldremovaltips.com][b]Mold Removal Tips[/b][/url]

Quick Reply