DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > mosquito problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2005, 08:37 AM  
ruby

Default mosquito problem

what's the best way to get rid of pesky mosquitos in the yard? is there something I can plant that will keep them away? i've tried those smelly cintrinella candles, but they don't do much. I would love to find some sort of organic way, like a plant or something that they dont' like. anyone know of any?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2005, 10:08 PM  
classy1

There is a guy selling a book on infomercials now who claims to be able to get rid of almost any pest - you might want to check it out.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:04 PM  
zizibelle

Have you tried the bug zappers? I have also heard good things about Cutters brand "Backyard Bug Spray" to get rid of mosquitos. I saw it at Lowe's for around $8 a bottle and the instructions seem very easy: it connects to your hose like Miracle Grow Feeder. Good luck! I know how pesky they can be!

Old 10-05-2005, 06:10 PM  
confused

If you decide to go for the bug free spray I would highly recommend using a face mask. I have never personally used it but I have heard that it has odors and you wouldn't really want to be inhaling all those chemicals!

Old 10-10-2005, 03:41 AM  
Lil Dave

Default Mosquito problem

Get rid of standing water, keep it away. Induce the habitat for some dragonflies and bluejays, they luv mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes are not attracted to "bugzappers".

Old 04-28-2006, 07:52 AM  
granite.crow

You can look into building (or buying) and then hanging a bat house. I'm not sure about where you live, but I live in New England and we have bats. They eat about 3 times there body weight in bugs. Its a cost effective and environmentally safe approach to bug problems.
I have heard that if you have a wood stove or fire pit, that the smoke will help to keep mosquitos away.
Otherwise, lil dave nailed it. eliminate their habitat, standing water, old tires, keep your lawn cut short, etc.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:44 AM  
CraigFL

I hear the CO2 generators that attract & Zap them work good. Bats work too if you, your family and friends don't mind them flying around at dusk...

Old 04-28-2006, 04:37 PM  
PaPaDan

Grass cut, no standing water, no weeds around the property. Bats, as many as you can attract. Buy or build bathouses and they will come. personally, Take a dryer sheet, Those anti static fabric softener sheets, And rub it on your neck and arms when going outsdie and then just hang it from your belt or pocket. They will keep the little blood suckers away from you.

Info For All- [url]http://www.hoistman.com[/url] I had amnesia once -- or twice :confused:

Old 04-29-2006, 07:19 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Default Crazy!!

Nop, not crazy...Those dryer sheets also work on mice. I use them in my camper over the winter and my snowmobiles over the summer. Been doin it for 5 years and no mice!!
I will try the mosquitoes this month.
Thanks PaPa Dan!! These are the things people should be posting!!

Just My
Made in the

Old 05-04-2006, 08:58 AM  
woodworkingmenace

Send a message via MSN to woodworkingmenace

Bug zappers WORK!

I used to work at a Sewage Plant...Lots of standing water... Lots of mosquitoes!

I had them install a one half acre bug zappers, because the mosquitoes were feeding the spiders, (I kept getting bit by those rascals - the spiders)

I would leave the bug zapper on, and by the next day, I would think some one unplugged it! Found out that the mosquitoes covered the entire thing!!
Finally ended up burning the bug zapper out! (Must of used it too much when it was new??? After only two seasons...sheesh).

Got an acre and a half for my house...When the neighbor cut the tall weeds down in the field next to my house, I didnt have a single bug, after that! (Before that, there were many!)...

Ok, my two cents for what its worth, and a wee bit extra for the collection plate...

Jesse

Quick Reply