DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > mosquito problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 10:00 AM  
HUNARI

There are some plants that deterr "skeeters" .
One is a citronella-plant of some sort, just saw one at Home Depot yesterday. I also heard that Marigolds deterr them as well.
The dryer sheet tip I will have to try out but I usually just spray Skin-so-Soft on. It is in my opinion the best bug spray to use.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 02:40 PM  
try2diy

Mosquitos can be effectivly dealt with in the following ways:

get rid of any stnding water. even a cup can be home to hundres. if you have small areas of water, mosquito dunks work very well. They have bateria that selectivly kill the larva, and do not harm anything else [ like fish, froges etc ] available in hardware stores. silly name, but they will know what they are

if - and only if - you have no ponds with fish anywhere nearby, there are permethrin sprays from home centers Ortho makes one, and you attach to a garden hose and treat your lawn and shrubs. works very well, easy to apply, and based upon natural eterents [ chrysanthemums ] note that if the runoff gets into a lake or pond or stream, it will kill the fish. so use discretion.

hth

Old 07-14-2007, 12:29 PM  
Deacon
Custom Home Builder

Mosquitos get rid of me -- Call me gone.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:55 AM  
Undermount sinks

Do you have a pond, birdbath or other water feature on your property?
Try Mosquito Control Rings. It contains Bt 'Israelensis,' a naturally occurring bacterium that kills mosquito larvae.

They can be used in ponds, water barrels, birdbaths and water gardens and everywhere the insects breed. It is not harmful to birds or other wildlife.

Other effective ways of how to get rid of mosquitoes:

* Wind produced by an electric fan can keep mosquitoes away.
* Beer combined with other key ingredients can be sprayed around bushes, and on grass and weeds.
* Pure vanilla extract and fabric softener sheets are said to get rid of mosquitoes. Dap some extract on your wrists and ankles.

It's just a good to know.

[URL="http://www.sinksusa.com"]Quality Stainless Kitchen Sink[/URL]

Old 10-22-2007, 04:43 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Another 'good to know'
Taking vitamin B-12 repels misquitoes, got the idea from a Pharmacist. I don't know why but I can attest, it works.
Glenn

Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 PM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with most of the ideas here...B12, dryer sheets, donuts in any standing water you can't dump, etc.

I have had a "Black Hole" for about 3 years now, and it's full of mosquitoes quite often (as well as other bugs).

Oh, and I also use dryer sheets to keep mice out of stored vehicles (boat, trailer, etc.)

Here's a good site that has both the Black Hole and bat boxes...Well, in Australia anyway. I purchased mine in the US, but I can't remember where I got it. If I remember, I'll post it up.

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcontrol/mosquito_prod.html

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Last edited by Hack; 01-17-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:10 AM  
mechanicalmonster

Thai lemon grass is said to repel them. They do not like mint or pennyroyal. I often crush the leaves from mint and pennyroyal and rub it on me. It keeps the mosquitoes off for a few hours without chemicals. A word of caution if you grow mint or pennyroyal make sure its in a contained area or it will take over. If you have gutters check them they may need cleaning, Clogged gutters are an often overlooked breeding ground. If you have a culvert make sure it is draining well. Look up at your trees if you see many of them swarming in a one spot you may have a hollow spot holding water. It can be sealed with Quickrete. Backfill any puddles that persist more than a couple days after a rain.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:44 PM  
Werner.Home

The only problem with Bug Zappers (I noticed a few people commenting on) is that doesnt it draw all the Mosquito's towards your house then? But to the rest of you, thank you, will have to try a few things! Maybe a bat house or two, and maybe trying to draw in those Dragonflies and Blue Jays! Urban living might dampen my spirits, but I can still try!

Work in progress...

Quick Reply