DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Mushrooms




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 04:32 AM  
VanHalen
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Default Mushrooms

Hi,

Possessing minimal knowledge of DIY I wasn’t sure which forum to put this in , so apologies if it is inappropriate.

Small mushrooms have recently begun to appear in my kitchen in the angle between wall and ceiling. The flat is in a 3 storey block on the ground floor and there is a small hole in the roof of the block which is currently being repaired.

I have some photos of the offending fauna but my computer skills are on a similar level to my DIY so I would need instruction on how to upload.

Can anyone please advise me on what the mushrooms indicate and what I should do.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Alex



__________________
VanHalen is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 05:16 AM  
Con65
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen View Post
Hi,

Possessing minimal knowledge of DIY I wasn’t sure which forum to put this in , so apologies if it is inappropriate.

Small mushrooms have recently begun to appear in my kitchen in the angle between wall and ceiling. The flat is in a 3 storey block on the ground floor and there is a small hole in the roof of the block which is currently being repaired.

I have some photos of the offending fauna but my computer skills are on a similar level to my DIY so I would need instruction on how to upload.

Can anyone please advise me on what the mushrooms indicate and what I should do.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Alex
Hi Alex:

I'd think that the mushrooms indicate you have water problems from that hole in the roof. You may have had those problems for some time. The moisture has activated mold spores causing the mushrooms to grow. You may have other mold that might cause health problems.

If I were you I would get a qualified mold inspector or repair contractor quickly. I've lived in London so I know finding reliable people with those skills can be difficult.


__________________
Con65 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 08:25 AM  
VanHalen
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Default

ah thanks, do you think it will be alright once the leak has been stopped and the area dries?

__________________
VanHalen is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 07:52 AM  
Con65
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen View Post
ah thanks, do you think it will be alright once the leak has been stopped and the area dries?
Well, you can stop the leak, but that will not eliminate the mold problem. Even if you don't see the mushrooms anymore, the mold spores will remain.

I would be concerned if I were you. Mold can be serious stuff. It can cause major health problems. Just last year, the Health Department had to demolish an historical building in our area because a dangerous mold was present.
__________________
Con65 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 04:25 PM  
VanHalen
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Default

i will get someone in to have a look tmrw if its that serious.

do you think they will try and sell me more services than i require because to be honest i wouldnt know if they were trying to sell me unecessary extra work

__________________
VanHalen is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 10:41 PM  
frozenstar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 253
Default

Click the Post Reply button on this thread and it will open a reply form. You can upload a picture by clicking the "Manage Attachments" under the Additional Options below the reply box. A small window will open with an option to upload file from your computer or file from url. When you're done attaching the file, click the "Close this window" button.

Hope you can post some pics.

__________________
frozenstar is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 03:29 AM  
VanHalen
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Default

I'm afraid they're not great quality...

kitchen-001.jpg   kitchen-004.jpg  
__________________
VanHalen is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 04:13 AM  
VanHalen
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Default

If it does turn out to be caused by condensation, any idea how much it would cost to have an extractor fan installed?

__________________
VanHalen is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 AM  
Con65
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen View Post
i will get someone in to have a look tmrw if its that serious.

do you think they will try and sell me more services than i require because to be honest i wouldnt know if they were trying to sell me unecessary extra work
From how you described your flat, I'm assuming that there are other owner occupied flats in your building. I don't think that the moisture is limited to your flat.

1) I'd get the other residents involved.

2) Mold is serious, but probably not a panic situation. Take the time to find a reliable firm to evaluate your problem. I know that is difficult. In the US, I'd go to my local health or building department for advice. We also have independent building inspectors that will inspect a property before we purchase it. Expect to pay for advice.

3) Some people will try to take advantage of you and some will not. Recommendations from friends are a good way to find someone.
__________________
Con65 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 03:21 AM  
VanHalen
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Hi,

Turns out the cause was the washing machine upstairs leaking. This has now been rectified and following many more hours of dripping, the leak has stopped.

What do I do now?
The mould cleaner told me that I needed to cut out a section of the plaster board above and use anti fungal sprays throughout the affected area of the cavity and joists as well as spraying the floor above.

Is this all necessary of should the problems disappear after the leak has been dealt with?



__________________
VanHalen is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On