DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Old House Smell

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:37 AM  
Vicky123

Default Old House Smell

I just bought an old house was built in 1927. I'm only visiting the house until I retire. I don't find the "old" smell offensive but I find my clothes have that smell. The house has no mold per the inspector. It has a bilge pump to remove any water under the house. I'm going to clean the walls and paint before I move in. Probably will refinish the original wood flooring upstairs also. When I'm not there, I leave all the cabinets and closets open and that has helped some. Any other suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 12:08 PM  
Drywallinfo

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky123 View Post
I just bought an old house was built in 1927. I'm only visiting the house until I retire. I don't find the "old" smell offensive but I find my clothes have that smell. The house has no mold per the inspector. It has a bilge pump to remove any water under the house. I'm going to clean the walls and paint before I move in. Probably will refinish the original wood flooring upstairs also. When I'm not there, I leave all the cabinets and closets open and that has helped some. Any other suggestions?
A solution for any smell is an ozone generating air purifier. The ozone will react with the stink molecules and break them apart (oxidation) thus removing the stink rather than just masking it. If you use this type of machine, only run it when you are not in the house - otherwise you can get a sore throat or headache. It is safe however - the ozone quickly reacts and dissipates after the machine is turned off. Ozone is what gives us the clean smell after a thunderstorm - it is generated when electricity passes through air (and oxygen, O2) producing O3 (ozone).

Perhaps you could rent one.

Quick Reply