DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Perimeter drains

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM  
Outbacker

Default Perimeter drains

This last winter, I had some flooding into the house from the outside drains from the gutter down pipes into the perimeter drain which backed up to a drain near a door. So I know that the drains from the roof connect into a common pipe that connect to a drain near the door. Okay, today I placed a water hose into this drain near the door and ran it for about 10 minutes before the water started to rise in the pipe. I do not know if the drains weep through holes in the pipe into the ground, or if they connect to a drain near the ditch at the front of the house. No water was seen at the ditch during this test. I also placed a second hose at another downspout from the gutters and it filled up quite fast, but did slowly drain down and is gone now. Again, no indication of where it went. Before I call some guy in with a camera to inspect the pipes, are there any suggestions from you guys? The pipe inspection guy will be well over $100.00, and of course if there is a plug, the cost goes up. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Outbacker:
I have a sewer that used to get stopped up with tree roots and bermuda grass roots. I have snaked it out at least 4 times before I came upon an idea. I bought a bag of salt pellets for a water sofener, put a cup or so in the commode every 2 weeks to a month, the pellets are large enough to get caught in a root wad and just keep feeding the roots a good dose of salt. I haven't had to snake the sewer for over 2 years now and don't expect to.
Glenn

Old 03-29-2007, 08:52 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbacker View Post
This last winter, I had some flooding into the house from the outside drains from the gutter down pipes into the perimeter drain which backed up to a drain near a door. So I know that the drains from the roof connect into a common pipe that connect to a drain near the door. Okay, today I placed a water hose into this drain near the door and ran it for about 10 minutes before the water started to rise in the pipe. I do not know if the drains weep through holes in the pipe into the ground, or if they connect to a drain near the ditch at the front of the house. No water was seen at the ditch during this test. I also placed a second hose at another downspout from the gutters and it filled up quite fast, but did slowly drain down and is gone now. Again, no indication of where it went. Before I call some guy in with a camera to inspect the pipes, are there any suggestions from you guys? The pipe inspection guy will be well over $100.00, and of course if there is a plug, the cost goes up. Any thoughts?
Your not the only one that's having this problem here. I have received 2 calls this month. I would spend the 100.00 and find out exactly whats happening

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Quick Reply