DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Plug the Weep Holes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 09:53 AM  
Hoganflagle

Default Plug the Weep Holes?

I own a home where the previous owner added a room onto the back of the house. The original exterior wall is now an interior wall. The weep holes are open in that section of wall and I am wondering if they should have been closed off since they are open to the interior of our house. Additionally I notice that the slab that was poured for the room was poured up against the old slab so that there is a thin seam between the two. Should a liquid sealer have been poured into the seam since the slabs are not one?

I notice that we get a higher humidity level in that part of the house and I am wondering if the weep holes and seam are the culprits.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome HoganFlagle:
The cause of the higher humidity in the addition is the mass of concrete and brick. Acutally they are more prone to condense the moisture that is in all of your house. I would not plug the holes in the brick because masonry just draws moisture out of the air and , if moisture gets on the back of the brick, it will need an exit. The crack in the floor could be filled though, it may be allowing moisture from the earth below to infiltrate. I would enlarge the fine crack first so it will hold some good caulk. When I have a cold joint like that (that doesn't need expansion material) I rake out a half inch deep with a 16d nail before the concrete sets. That gives me a good opening for caulking. Since your concrete is set, the opening could be made with a 3" side-grinder. Just protect your eyes, face and breathing from the dust, it is carcogenic.
Glenn

Old 04-03-2009, 12:02 PM  
Hoganflagle

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I was concerned that any moisture and critters that would find their way into the spacing beneath my brick veneer on my existing exterior walls would work they way into the wall in question. Sounds Like I could cause problems by plugging the now interior wall weep holes.

Will follow your advice on the slab, thanks.

Quick Reply